Chapter 4

BLAKE

We remained in total silence on the road home. This time was even worse. I could feel the anger bursting from my brother on the other side of the auto-carriage, though he didn't spare me a single glance. When we arrived, Aiden went straight to his office.

I wanted to go to my room and wallow in self-pity, but Mom grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to look at her. Even after the long trip, her chestnut hair was still in place, half up in a simple but elegant bun. Dad had always said I was more like her out of the two of us, but the main physical feature I inherited from Mom was her darker and wavier hair. I wonder if he'd change his mind if he had seen Claire growing up. Despite also inheriting a blond hair like Aiden, our little sister was looking like our mother at each passing day.

She smiled with a warmth that almost made me believe everything was okay. "We should celebrate."

I laughed humorlessly, and my shoulders crumbled. "What? My disastrous humiliation?"

"Disaster or not, you're turning eighteen today." She put her hands on my shoulders and adjusted the tall collar of my shirt and then smoothed her palms over my vest. "I ordered the cooks to make your favorites today. Including apple pie for dessert."

That made me smile, even if just a little. "I'd like that."

"Good," she said, and nodded to the nearest servants. "Let's have a small celebration at the tearoom." She locked her arm around mine, pushing me to the stairs so we could leave the entrance hall to the corridors. "Finnian went home to rest after the trip, but I'm sure he can make it for dinner."

"Mom! Blake!" Claire shouted, running toward us from her room. Her small ten-year-old arms wrapped around my torso. "Happy birthday!" A big smile stretched her round face. Then, she hugged mom, and we went to the tearoom.

The servants brought the food soon after we sat at the small round table. I barely ate anything else—I jumped straight to dessert. I don't know how I was able to fit five slices of pie into my stomach.

Afterward, I went back to my room to continue studying my favorite topic, history. I spent a good two hours leaning on the table with open books in front of me and my favorite pen between my teeth before going to take a needed bath.

I walked to the bathroom door and turned on the hot water. Sinking into the bathtub, I let myself finally relax. I'd been so tense that my back had felt like a stiff wood board during the entire trip. With the water gently shifting around me, my worries eased.

I dipped below the water, and when I emerged, I heard a couple hard knocks on my room door. I rushed out of the tub, almost slipping on the floor. Wrapping my winter robe around me, I ran to open it.

Aiden barged in, his usual frown carved deeper into his forehead. There were two guards at the door, and with all the noise, Mom left her room to see what was happening.

His voice came cold. "Out."

"What?"

"I want you out."

I blinked. "Of my room?"

"Of my castle." He crossed his arms. "I put up with you here for long enough, but after what happened yesterday, I can't take it anymore."

My jaw dropped. Mom spoke for me. "What do you think you're doing, Aiden?"

"What needs to be done." He raised his chin.

"You're not insane, Aiden." She scoffed. "You can't be serious; you know very well what the nobles think of this."

"Exactly!" I tried to defend myself. "Those who abandon family are not trustworthy in business." My voice broke as I quoted the common saying.