Chapter 2

BLAKE

Tossing my covers to the side, I stood up. The rain fell relentlessly against my bedroom window and the loud thunder wouldn't let me sleep. Well, it wasn't only that...my dream was too sad.

I rubbed my tired eyes and exited the room. The castle's corridors were empty, so I let my small eight-year-old legs carry me to Dad's office. As I expected, the lights there were still on; it wasn't that late, yet. The door creaked open, making Dad jump in his chair. He calmed down when he saw me.

I didn't know if he could see my wet cheeks, but he gestured for me to come closer with a reassuring smile. I ran to him, pressing my body against his legs.

"What's wrong, Blake?" he asked, pulling me into his lap. His strong arms wrapped around me, and the warmth made my heart light as if it could soar. I looked down at the ground.

"I miss her."

He sighed. "It's been months, son."

"I dreamed of her again."

In my dreams, I played running in the garden, following the girl in the bright red dress. The neighbor I only got to see on special occasions, but whose company had always made my days brighter.

"It's natural to dream of those who we've lost but are still in our hearts. Eventually, you'll dream of new things." He caressed the top of my head, messing with my hair the color of caramel, as Mom likes to say. With the other hand, he shifted the papers on his desk to the side. "I need to check the ink in my pen. Would you like to do it for me?"

I managed a smile and nodded slowly. He put it in my waiting hands and I opened it, just like he taught me. It might be silly, but I loved this black and silver pen. Dad had crafted it himself.

As always, it was full of ink. I closed it again. Under the candle's dim light, I checked the nib to see if it was aligned and clean. Dad always kept it perfect. It took the fun out of it for me.

My eyes fell on the engraving. The tip of my thumb smoothed over the writing, traveling over all the ups and downs of the metal. Justice is a Decision.

I looked at Dad. "What does that mean?"

"It's the most important lesson I learned at Starlight Academy. For example, they accept anyone, if they're dedicated to their studies. Justice is up to us. I made this pen to always remind me of that."

"If I get into the Academy, will I understand it, too?"

"Perhaps even before—though, I think you're too young to understand it right now."

"Can I study there, too?"

"Of course. If you keep taking your lessons seriously."

"But I do!"

"I know, Blake. And you do more than Aiden did at your age. But it's not only that. It's the desire to keep learning. You have to let this flame light in your heart." His confident smile made me feel like I could do anything. He believed in me, and it was all I needed.

"I will. I promise. I want to study there like you did."

"If it's your wish, then you shall go." He laughed, caressing my hair. "You know, your brother may look like me more, but I was just like you when I was a child."

This time, my smile reached my eyes, and I handed him back his treasured pen. He took it and twirled it between his long fingers.

"Blake, do you remember the secret within?" He raised his hand a little.