Rowdy finally took his hands away from my clothes. Understanding the fourth had a leader aura around him, I extended the coins to him. With the third on my left side and the previous two on the right, I was trapped between a wall and the tall leader. He knelt in front of me and I pressed my back on the cold, hard wall. With slow, gentle movements, he closed my hand and pushed it to me. I kept clenching with everything I had.

"Y-you're new here, aren't you?" His smart dark eyes studied me.

I was too scared to answer and my throat ached from all the yelling, so I just nodded. People behind them spared glances to see the commotion. Perhaps I should wait until more have gathered so I could scream again.

"Where are your parents?" The balloon man asked. More tears formed, and I shut my eyes, shaking my head. "No one's looking after you?" I shook my head again, dark tangled hair tumbling around my face. He looked at his companions. "She's alone."

"She's obviously faking it so that she can get away with it, Joy!" Rowdy waved a dismissing hand and crossed his arms, yelling at the man with red cheeks.

"S-shut up." The leader shot him a warning look. "She is alone, a-and it hasn't been long," he said. He wasn't exactly wrong. I'd been on these streets for a few months now, but I was too afraid to go near the gangs. I tilted my head, wondering how he could know so much about me, but the Rowdy man asked for me. The answer came in a quick stutter. "S-she's alone, but n-not in any g-gang, yet." Then he turned back to me. Putting a dark-colored hand over his chest, he continued. "I'm Doc. W-we're sky pirates. W-would you like to be a part of o-our gang?"

I frowned in confusion, but before I could say anything, Rowdy snapped. "You're crazy. No way!"

Although he said that, I haven't even shown I wanted to accept his offer. A pirate? Me? I'd heard stories about them. They were strong and fearless, brave and bold. How could a girl like me be a sky pirate?

"Y-yes. She's small and can get into small places."

"We have my brother for that," Rowdy insisted.

"T-Teeny is getting too big. And when she grows up, she can get sky sailors drunk and get the best tips. S-she's pretty and no one w-will expect her to take care of herself. S-she can be our secret weapon."

Rowdy grunted, shaking his head. "We have to vote. I don't want this whiny brat on our ship!"

The balloon man—Joy—cleared his throat. "But, we promised to accept anyone."

"Fine..." Rowdy's shoulders fell in defeat.

Doc produced a little coin sac from his pocket.

"Y-you don't have to come if y-you don't want to. But you can have this, anyway." There was compassion in his dark eyes. No sign of that little twitch of a smile of someone who wanted to do me harm. After I caught up with this detail, I avoided danger much easier. "We'll give you everything y-you need. Shelter, food, clothes, and we'll train you."

I needed to think about it. I didn't like to wake up at night with insects and rats crawling around me, but at the same time, Dad had always told me not to trust strangers. But Doc saw potential in me. He wanted me to be useful, and it had been so long since anyone had looked at me like I was worth something...

I put the five coins in a pocket and slowly grabbed the little sac. It was heavy and I could already see a few golden ones on the top. I could buy good food for a week and I'd still be able to get new clothes for winter.