Chapter 1

SNOW

I stumbled down the busy streets of Awynia, bumping between people. On rare occasions, they spared annoyed glances at a poor nine-year-old girl like me, but even those were as hard as the tall gray buildings around the streets. Better to be invisible.

Shivering against the chilly wind, I pulled the stolen shawl closer. Fall was coming to an end, and my shoes were tight and torn apart. I needed to change them, and new clothes for winter. I avoided glancing at store windows; looking at the reflection of my black, messy hair and dirty, pale skin only reminded me that Mom wouldn't like it. Holding my only satchel, I continued walking.

My stomach growled as I stopped in front of the street's bakery. A world of beautiful loaves and cakes taunted me through the glass. The smell of fresh-baked bread made me gulp.

The owner inside frowned at me through the window and waved me away. My heart sank; no spares for me today. I turned and walked away, not willing to make him angry. I had asked to work for him before, but he never wanted me. No one wanted anything to do with a poor girl like me. I could work for only a few meals and new clothes, but to the shopkeepers, even that seemed more trouble than I was worth.

Up the street, two men bought a newspaper from the news stand and moved out of the way to read the headlines. The one who paid, a round, red-faced fellow, put the change back in his pocket. The fabric jingled and sank with the weight of more coins. The other man by his side was thin and tall, but no words came out of his mouth, nodding as his friend spoke.

I moved closer, trying to make myself invisible against the nearest wall. I slipped my hand into his pocket, grabbed a few coins as silently as I could, and ducked away with them clenched safely between my fingers.

When I was safe, I took stock. Three silver, two gold. That would get me a simple meal, and if I could save a little more, I could even get a sweater or some new shoes.

I yelped as a hand gripped my arm. The large man's companion, a thin, skeleton-like man, opened his mouth, but I spun away and dashed down the street. Their yells echoed after me. My heart hammered like crazy, and I barely noticed when my shawl slipped away and fell to the ground. I couldn't go back for it. I clenched the satchel with everything I had against my chest. If only I could lose them in some dark corner, I could head back to my hiding place under the bridge.

I dared to look back again. They were far enough away to lose me soon.

A hand came out of nowhere, grabbing me by my sleeve. I yelled, hoping someone would take mercy on me, straining against his grip. But the third man didn't let go. He scowled down at me.

"Not so fast, little thief."

I swallowed down a sob and extended my hand with the stolen coins. "Here." The two men chasing me finally caught up, breathing heavily. "Take it back, just let me go."

I blinked away the tears forming in my eyes, searching for the gaps between them so I could escape.

"What gang are you from?" The third one holding me said, brushing his dark bangs away from his brown, almond-shaped eyes. "They need to teach you a lesson about not messing with us. We have deals here and—" He was cut off when a hand hit the back of his neck, and a man in a red coat appeared over his shoulder.

"D-d-don't be silly, Rowdy." He dwarfed me as he came right ahead and I shivered. He looked down at me. "She's not f-from a gang, yet. L-let her go."