Part 55

As soon as the door slams behind them, Carlos doubles over, one hand reaching for the wall.

Sabrina is instantly handed off the Amber, who quickly ushers her into one of the conference rooms while one of the other interns makes sure the doors are locked and sealed.

"Okay, you're going to be okay," Conrad mutters, half-dragging Carlos into her office.

He collapses onto the couch, wincing as he presses his hand to his chest, where his wound is.

"Shit, Con, it's burning," he hisses, and she stares at him in horror.

She's helpful when there's fighting action or drama, but she's no good with pain. She never knows what to do except hand it off to someone else.

So that's what she does.

"Okay, I'm going to call the doctor," she declares, stomping to her desk.

"Sabrina is secured. She's safe. Mark is sitting with her talking about dinosaurs. All entrances and exits are secure," Amber chirps, popping her head into the office,

"Summon your wolf to help you heal," Amber frowns, and Carlos shakes his head slightly, his breaths becoming more and more shallow.

"I can't. He's trying to keep everything together," Carlos grimaces, laying down.

Amber rushes out of the room when someone calls her name, and Conrad is waiting for the doctor to pick up.

She gets through to the voicemail, and decides to try the number of the consultants that were looking after Carlos.

Both numbers fail as well, so she picks up her cellphone and rings Marcy.

Marcy is her best bet in medical emergencies; she can't count how many times Marcy has had to talk her and Charlotte out of thinking they were dying of some rare disease or another.

Marcy picks up, and Conrad breathes a sigh of relief.

"Hi, Mar. I just wanted to know, do you know about the drug valchlorofine," Conrad asks immediately, sitting down at her desk.

She keeps an eye on Carlos while she does, opening her laptop.

"Hiya. No, I don't know that one, but I'll look it up on the doctor's server. Why?" Marcy asks, and Conrad can hear her typing on the ancient keyboard she refuses to part with.

"Carlos' doctor gave it to him yesterday, and I think it's doing something it shouldn't. He hasn't had it before; I think he could be allergic to it, judging by his freaked out reaction," Conrad informs her, and she hesitates when she hears Marcy gasp.

She knows that gasp; it's the noise she used to make when Charlotte suggested something stupid, and when Conrad did the something stupid.

Conrad's fingers are flying across the computer keyboard as she waits for Marcy to talk again.

"No, Con, that hasn't been approved for use on anyone. It didn't even make it to animal trials. They said the effects wouldn't be worth it to try to refine it," Marcy informs her, exchanging a nervous glance with her mate, who's sitting in her office waiting to go for lunch.

"Then why did they use it on Carlos? Matt said it was safe," Conrad replies slowly, her heart dropping in her chest.

"Matt was wrong. You need to get it out of him; it's probably on his stitches," Marcy exclaims, and Conrad quickly stands up from her desk, dashing towards Carlos.

His eyes are closed, and she feels a jolt of fear run through her body for a second until he takes a deep, slow breath.

"Car, I need to take your stitches out," she whispers, and he nods, grabbing her hand.