Part 23

Charlotte claps a hand over her mouth as she gazes at the body laying on the floor, exchanging a look with Jeanne.

"Is the breaking complete?" Jeanne asks, peering at the face.

"Yes. You may leave," the witch calmly responds, exiting the room.

Conrad rises from her seat, her entire body shaking with the effort of it.

"I'm going to fall," she mumbles, and Charlotte immediately catches her, hauling her back up.

"Thank you," she mumbles, slowly testing if she can put weight onto either, or both, of her feet.

After a minute or two, she can, and Jeanne continues to force some of the fizzy drink she had brought into her mouth, convincing her that it would help to make her blood sugars level out and then get her energy back.

Conrad slowly moves away from Charlotte, staring at the heap Atlas is laying in.

"Fucker," she mutters, stepping over him.

She pauses to look at Meg, who looks back at her, her eyes wide and fearful.

Meg opens her mouth for a second and then closes it.

"Goodbye," Conrad says after a moment, taking the robe off and putting her clothes back on.

She doesn't give Meg a chance to respond, and when she walks out, she can hear the girl crying.

She grimaces, shaking her head as she waits for Jeanne and Charlotte to catch up.

"She needs help in there," Conrad murmurs to a guard, and the guard hurries into the room.

"Are you okay?" Jeanne asks, and Conrad gives her a small smile.

"Yeah. I'm fine," she simply replies, pushing away the pain.

She feels hollow, as if there's nothing left within her.

Jane is silent, and her heart feels like it's dropped to her feet.

Footsteps can be heard running down the hallway, drawing Conrad's attention from her misery.

Three guards sprint into the spell room, where the three girls are still standing.

Jeanne doesn't want to walk, because if she moves, she knows Conrad will follow; she doesn't think Conrad is strong enough to walk for the moment.

"Why do you think they're going in there?" Conrad asks vacantly.

Jeanne and Charlotte look to each other in concern, before they turn back to their friend.

"Con, Atlas collapsed. They've gone in to help him," Charlotte finally says, and Conrad raises an eyebrow, nodding her head.

"Oh," she responds.

Charlotte looks at Conrad, seizing her shoulders and turning her to face her.

"Okay, I don't know what's going on in that head of yours, but you need to snap out of it. We have to go back to one of the Society members to inform them that the bond has been broken. To do that, you need to look like you have more than one brain cell," Charlotte orders sternly, and Conrad blinks at her.

Conrad nods after a minute, looking around the hallway.

Charlotte doesn't like the look in her friend's eye, and as soon as she turns to Jeanne to point it out, Conrad collapses.

Jeanne manages to keep her from hitting the ground, but she struggles with the weight of the taller girl.

Charlotte takes Conrad with relative ease, adjusting her body in her arms.