New neighbors

Dream was awoken by the sound of cars moving and people yelling far too early in the morning. It was the middle of July and the humidity of the Florida air had caused the AC to go out leaving him feeling far too warm and slightly nauseous.

He turned over flinging off his blanket and grabbing his phone off the nightstand that stood next to his bed. Checking the time it read 7:04am, he huffed in annoyance knowing he would never fall back asleep and ultimately just decided to get up.

He slowly pulled himself up out of bed with an over exaggerated groan and walked toward his bedroom door.

Walking down the stairs he could already hear his parents talking quietly in the kitchen. Why were they up so early? He walked into the kitchen and saw them standing in front of the window looking out at god knows what, cups of hot coffee in both of their hands. 

He just shrugged, deciding to ignore it for now and opting to make himself breakfast before anything else. He opened the cabinet, grabbing a near empty box of Cheerios and pouring the remainder of it into a bowl before throwing out the empty box.

Walking over to grab the milk from the refrigerator he was stopped by his mother asking for him to look at whatever the hell she and his father had been looking at. He walked over to the window looking out and seeing... moving vans? He hadn't known they were even getting new neighbors in the first place.

He watched for a bit as several men moved large boxes from the van to the house before he turned back to continue making his breakfast.

While eating, his mother started going on about how they should bring cookies to the new neighbors as a way to "welcome them to the neighborhood." Dream didn't really care, and in all honesty he just wanted to eat his breakfast in peace.

Despite his protests, here Dream stood with his parents and younger sister in front of the new neighbors door, a container full of cookies in hand. It was just past 10am and Dream would much rather be spending his time playing Minecraft or basketball with his best friend Sapnap, but his mother had insisted he could do that later.

His father rang the bell and stood back a bit. Not long after a short woman with dark hair and pale skin came to the door. Dreams mother was quick to introduce herself as well as the rest of the family and "Mr.s Davidson" as Dream had learned her last name was, had invited them all inside.

Walking into the home Dream immediately took notice of the multitude of boxes and disassembled furniture pieces, though this was to be expected as these people had just moved in.

Mr.s Davidson and his mother had started a conversation about how the move was going for the Davidson's and Dream was too uninterested to really listen in on it so instead he wandered around the house a bit, trying to find something to peak his interest.

He had been walking down a short hallway staring at the plain blue walls when he stumbled over his own feet, falling to the floor and landing with a noise of discomfort and a groan of pain.

Not long after he heard footsteps from behind him but still didn't bother to move. "What are you doing on the floor?" Asked a British accent from behind him.

Dream didn't bother turning toward the voice before sarcastically replying "Just decided it would be more comfortable down here."

The other scoffed walking over and offering a hand to the blonde who still refused to look up from the ground. "Well, are you going to get up or not?" The boy above him said in a snarky tone and Dream finally looked up at the other finding him to be a short brunette who looked to be around his age, the boy had short dark hair that was combed nicely to the side and deep brown eyes that seemed to shine from the light coming through the windows, he must be the Davidson's son, Dream thought to himself.

He grabbed the boy's hand and pulled himself up. "I'm George" said the brunette.

"Dream" Dream replied, looking down slightly at the boy, he was only about 3 or 4 inches shorter than Dream but it was still enough where he had to look down a bit.

Dreams thoughts were cut short by the brunette speaking again "Dream? That's a bit of an odd name don't you think?"

It took Dream a second to process the brunettes words before he replied "Well I don't know, it's not like I chose it." He was slightly offended. It's not like he wanted a weird name, he would have been perfectly content with a name as simple as George.

"I wasn't meaning to be rude." George responded, clearly sensing Dream's irritation. "I actually quite like the name. it's unique." He smiled, and Dream couldn't help but smile back.

"Thanks" Dream replied, a bit sheepish now from the compliment, he wasn't really used to them.

Before Dream could get another word in George interrupted "I actually have to get unpacking but maybe we could hang out or something later?" He looked a bit nervous, as if he wasn't sure Dream would agree to it.

Dream smiled at George telling him he'd see him later before walking back down the hallway to see his parents just finishing up their conversation with Mr.s Davidson and Mr Davidson who had apparently joined the conversation at some point.

They said their goodbyes, the Davidson's thanking them for the cookies before they left the house heading back home. Dream walked upstairs into his room and logged onto Minecraft with a soft smile still resting on his face. He was actually pretty excited about the new neighbors. George seemed nice enough and Dream thinks they could be good friends.
———————