Chapter 2

Have you ever gotten the feeling of belonging?Belonging in a place where you were sure that you never would have fit in is something to be proud of. That is what I feel right now, walking to the Ciudad Real Madrid pitch. Passing by all of these legends that I thought I would only see in TV or, if I was lucky, walking down a Madrid street with dozens of people around them asking for a selfie or an autograph is nothing but a dream.

I breathed in the crisp September air, and sat down on the bench made specifically for the medical team. Opening the files that Juan gave me, I skimmed through them. They were just the medical conditions some of the players had. I could see that Kroos always has some discomfort in his calf area, and that Sergio Ramos has a tendency to sprain a ligament very easily. None of them really had anything too worrying, though.

"Abril, can I ask you something?" Sergio Ramos asked sitting down next to me holding his elbow.

"Depends on the question." I answered.

He smiled and, oh, god, his teeth are very white. "Is my elbow supposed to hurt like a bitch every time I move it in a sudden way?"

"Let me see." He turned to show me his elbow and started to move it carefully. "Does it hurt when I move it like that?" He shook his head. Then I did moved it a bit more briskly and he winced.

"Yep, that hurts."

"You must have pulled a ligament." I informed him. Thinking this is important information, I jotted it down on his file. "Did you fall?"

"Yeah because somebody pushed me."

"Ok and did you catch yourself with your arm outstretched?" He nodded. "Did you hear a popping sound?"

"Maybe, I really didn't listen."

"Well, you have a sprained elbow."

"Wait. So does this mean I won't be able to play for..."

"I'd say about two to three weeks, but I have to go over to Juan to be a hundred percent sure you won't be able to play." I said standing up and grabbing his file from the pile on the bench. "For now, sit here and wait 'till I come back."

"Wait." He stopped me before I could go any further. "Just wanted to say that you may not see it, but people here do like you. Even though you've only been here for like three days. I mean, don't be shy around us, ok? We're just a bunch of guys that play football, that's all."

"Ok. Thanks! It really does help for someone to reassure me that." I told him.

I was looking at Sergio's files whilst walking through the entrance to the offices of the facilities when all of a sudden I was on the floor. My face almost colliding with the ground if my hands were not there to stop me. I looked up and then I realized what I tripped myself on. Or should I say who. Right there staring at me through Gucci sunglasses was the face of the legend. Cristiano Ronaldo.

I was waiting for him to extend his arm out for me to take and stand up, but he just stood there, looking at his phone. Don't be shy around us, ok? Sergio's voice kept replaying in my head. That's where I snapped. "Excuse me!" I stood up suddenly picking up the papers that flew out the folder. "You tripped me."

"Um.. no. You ran into me and fell." Cristiano mumbled not looking up from his phone.

"You could've helped me." I retorted.

"I didn't trip you, so why would I help you?" He stated.

"Well, because- will you look at me while I'm talking to you?" He looked up from his phone and took off his glasses revealing his perfectly waxed eyebrows.

"Happy?"

"Very... As I was saying, because it's the gentleman thing to do."

"Yeah, whatever," He scoffed. "If you'll excuse me, I need to go see Juan."

"I need to go talk to him too!" I started walking to his office when Ronaldo's voice stopped me.

"Why? Who are you?"

"What do you mean, who are you? Don't you remember- Oh, right! You haven't been to any of the practices!" I teased him. "My name is Dr. Abril Delano. And I can see you don't really like me, but you're going to have to since we're gonna see each other almost everyday."

"Why?" He asked again as if he were a parrot and that is the only thing he knows how to say.

"Because I'm the new medical intern. So all of the bumps and bruises you get during training are gonna be kissed and healed by me."

He scoffed yet again, "Great."

"Get used to me, honey, because I'm not going anywhere."

"We'll see about that." He mumbled thinking I couldn't hear him, but I heard him loud and clear. "You can go talk to Juan first, I'll talk to him later."

"Thanks." I fake smiled.

•••

"Sorry, Sergio. I'm afraid you're not gonna be able to play for three weeks." I said comfortingly while sitting down next to him.

"Ugh! Okay at least there aren't any big games those weeks so it's fine." I nodded getting the arm sling from my kit. As I was putting it on him. "What took you so long to get here?"

"Oh, nothing. Just ran into Cristiano Ronaldo." I whispered tying it to make it feel comfortable.

He chuckled as if he knew something, "So how did it go?"

"Let's just say, we got off on the wrong foot." I announce patting his arm, signaling to him that I was done.

He turned to look at the pitch where the others were training, "Why does he always do that?" Sergio asked to no one in particular.

"What do you mean?" I asked arranging my kit.

"He always scares people off..." He took a pause, "it's as if he doesn't want anyone to let anyone in and it pushes him to be a total asshole to anybody he doesn't know."

"You mean... he's done this to other people?"

"You're not the only medical intern we've had." He said, standing up. "I don't think I can do much... is it better for me to go?"

I was thinking about what he said about how I wasn't the fist medical intern and missed his question. "Huh?" He repeated the question. "Oh, yeah. For today only. Tomorrow you start physical therapy with me so be ready to move that arm a bit, 'kay?"

"Okay. See you tomorrow, Abril. Have to go talk to Carlo." He mumbled before heading to Carlo Ancelotti.

I sat down once again and looked at the field. Every player was there except for- wait, no there he is. But he was looking at me directly in the eyes. Squinting his eyes a bit and me doing the same had me thinking about what Sergio said. He always scares people off.

I promised myself that he would not scare me off with his words or his looks. Then I realized something. The player I idolized and looked up to when I saw this team play is the same person I hate. He will not bring me down.

Or so I hope.