Chapter Nine: I Am Not Going To Give Up

Balancing the wuxing

They huddled in the cave. It was thankfully dry; the earth was not muddy, but parched, cracked in various places. Sky Grace stretched out and fell asleep almost immediately. His fever was gone. Colour had returned to his handsome features. His wounds were finally healing with some alacrity, thanks to his shapeshifter nature.

Autumn Moon moved about, building a small fire. She thought it was safe enough for them to have some warmth. Jade Rain sat against the wall of the cave, too tired to even cry. There were fig trees growing next to the cave. They were only beginning to fruit. Autumn Moon picked a handful and shared them amongst the three.

The first bite made Jade Rain's nose wrinkle. It was so tart! Yet, grateful for the food, they finished it, chasing it down with the water they'd stored in gourds found in the hut. Sky Grace managed to finish his food and slept instantly after the meagre meal. For the rest of the night, they fought hunger by meditating and drawing on their chi store.

It was close to early dawn when Jade Rain stirred from their sleep. Autumn Moon had curled up next to them, her eyes tightly shut as if she was trying to erase all the bad memories. Jade Rain wished they had a cloak to cover their best friend. Sky Grace slept soundly.

The cave had its own sounds. Whispers, water dripping, the chittering of tiny animals. The feeling of something alive and living, breathing like a watching predator hid in the dark. Jade Rain followed the sounds. Windsong had began to sing softly. The closer they got to the source, the deeper they moved into the cave, the louder Windsong sang. The tunnel seemed to contract and became smaller, forcing Jade Rain to their knees to crawl through.

Darkness closed in, together with the smell of soil and bat guano.

For a moment, fear choked Jade Rain's throat. They wanted to flee.

They slid down a slope, accelerating faster and faster until they plunged into...

... icy water.

Jade Rain sputtered, spitting water. The air was suddenly frigid. Their breath plumed white.

Soaked to the skin, Jade Rain shivered. They seemed to have fallen into a large underground lake of sorts. The water reminded them of the crystal-clear water of the dragons' lakes. Yet, the water seemed to have its own innate quality. It glowed with its own light. In the middle of the lake rose a small mount made of the same earth from the cave. It looked out of place, like an altar.

As Jade Rain gazed at it, perturbed, the altar shimmered. They saw indistinct humanoid forms dancing above the mound. Jade Rain recognised the movements: they were stances from a manual.

They moved, similar to tai chi styles, culminating in a blazing form.

Child, this is the Fire Rabbit. Learn all the stances.

It was Father's voice. But not in their head, but everywhere.

"Father!"

I am not alive. But I am in your heart. See those stances. Learn from them. Balance your wu xing. You don't have time to lose.

"I... I'm not ready."

Everyone's always saying they are not ready. Opportunity comes when you open the door.

"Father..."

Prepare your heart. You have sufficient chi. I believe in you. Now go! Learn!

*

Air

The most basic element is air. Plucking the air is one of our most basic, most fundamental skills. When you pluck the air strands, you pull at the strings that make up existence. Lord Buddha says that everything is emptiness.

Water

The second most basic element is water. Water is a fluid entity. It changes. You should remember that this concept applies to life. Change is the only constant. See water. It exists in many forms: solid, air and fluid. It changes. As a cultivator, you must be able to change forms and adapt.

Wood

The other basic element is wood. Never look down on wood. All the Taoist priests use peach wood to suppress and banish evil spirits. Wood is simple and complex. We depend on wood. The forests are all wood. Wood is a living thing. It also protects the trees. It protects. It is resilient. However, it is also stubborn.

Metal

Swords and blades are metal. Metal is also a fluid thing. It changes, like water. Yet, it's also tough like wood. And it's purified by fire.

Fire

The final form and the most important. Fire is the sun, fire is the chi inside you. It's the fire that burns in a star's heart. Like the other elements, it's fluid and it's changeable. But fire is good and bad, just as air, water, wood and metal too. Too much of it, too much heat, and the body burns, your systems weaken and become sick. Fire warms us and gives light in times of darkness. Fire also kills. It will burn skin and flesh. It destroys forests. Master fire - and the wu xing will be balanced.

We all have the wu xing within us. Wu xing surrounds us too. We are the wu xing.

All in moderation.

All complement one another.

All are interconnected

*

All are interconnected.

*

Jade Rain rose into the air in a lotus pose, Autumn Moon and Sky Grace forgotten. All they knew was the chi burning inside them.

And the wu xing spinning within them like orbiting planets.

All are interconnected.

*

A Fire Rabbit stood in the middle of the lake, unaffected by the cold and the water. A corona surrounded Jade Rain. They were ablaze like the sun.

A powerful exultation filled Jade Rain.

They began to laugh.

*