Chapter Four: The Machinations of the Pig Clan

Plotting

Great Sanctuary was a forbidding and forbidden place. Blood-orange mesas thrust up from the earth like petulant blunt fangs. White steam rising from the hot springs gave it a further stygian atmosphere. It was said that Great Sanctuary was supposed to be a prison for the pigs, when the enraged dragons exiled them to this place, for fear of them polluting the purity of orthodox cultivation.

Out of sheer defiance, the Pig clan made their home out of this hellish landscape, tunneling deep into the earth and turning the mesas into watch towers where they had sentries guard the place day in and day out. Distrust of the world turned Great Sanctuary into a fortress.

And from this fortress sat the grand matriarch herself, empress of her own world. Muscular with a permanent pugilistic expression, Grass Wind sat on the obsidian throne, her flowing crimson sleeves draped on the throne's arm rests like rivers of glossy blood.

Blood of my enemies! Grass Wind thought viciously as she plotted her next move. She was angry at the constant rejection faced by her beloved clan. No Great Lecture? No problem. The pestilence and pigeons were her ways of getting back. They were petty acts, but she luxuriated in them, in their successes. Why couldn't her initiates and novices attend the oh-so-great lectures where the dragons droned about purity, about being compassionate, about being good? And curses to the rabbits who swiftly contained the pestilence and neutralised it.

She had enough of the dragons.

She had enough of the preening, over-mannered orthodox do-gooder clans.

She had enough.

"Grand Mistress!" a runner burst through the main door, gasping for air. "Grand Mistress."

"Speak, before you expire in front of me," purred Grass Wind lazily. Inwardly, she grew excited. News! The runner had brought news! And by the looks, good news. She rubbed her hands in glee.

"Grand Mistress, we found the way to the mountains!"

Grass Wind sat up straight. The earth rumbled. "Is it true? Are you lying to me?"

"No, great and august Grand Mistress, we do not lie. The way has been found. Hei Shan is ours. For the glory of our clan!"

"Excellent, we set off tomorrow. Assemble all the most able and experienced warriors. The Earth Borers, the Soil Shakers, the Stone Breakers. I want them all ready!" she snapped.

"Yes, Grand Mistress!" the runner bowed low, almost grovelling. He was fearful of the Grand Mistress's wrath. She was infamous for it.

So, her plan was working. She would single-handedly bring her clan back into eminence and knock the dragons off their moral high ground. She would...

... protect her children.

Boulder and Stream were both playing at the nearby springs, both already nimble at tackling the hot springs without getting scalded.

Pebble? Where did Pebble go?

For a moment, Grass Wind's heart lurched. Her little girl, her precious little gem.

"Mother," Pebble came running in too. "I found a pretty flower!"

Indeed she clutched a bright yellow flower in her plump hands. Grass Wind's anxiety melted. All was right again.

"A dandelion," Grass Wind nuzzled Pebble while the little girl curled up against her. "I haven't seen them growing in this part for a long time now." They had all died out... Now, it seemed they were returning. How could they grow in such inhospitable surroundings?

She clapped her hands. The sharp sound echoed in the hall, amplified by the acoustics of the cave-like walls. "Maid servants, prepare their noon-day meal!" she rapped out and the maid servants hurried to do their mistress's bidding. "I made si shen soup for you and your brothers. Your favourite," she cooed lovingly to Pebble. "Builds up your energy."

"Thanks, mama, you're the nicest," Pebble smiled. Such a happy child.

Grass Wind beamed. Yes, she would protect her children. She would make the world safe for them, even if it meant destroying the dragons and the other clans.

*

Name: Grass Wind (Chao Feng) - "Wind" to her close ones - She/her.

Archetype: Warrior.

Level: Master *******

Motivation: Wants the Elixir for herself and to bring her clan back to eminence. Wants to control the jianghu and wulin/cultivation world.

Physical description:

Pig/boar form: Streaks of crimson down back through earth-brown coat, large tusks, appears like a big wild boar.

Human form: Presents as a stout/muscular woman with sun-tanned skin in her late thirties or early forties. Wears blood-red robes as clan leader. Haughty appearance. Carries a staff/pole she uses to "shake the earth." Black/brown hair tied in a loose ponytail.

Note: Grass Wind is a loving and doting mother of three (two boys, one girl). She wants a safer world for them. Fiercely protective of them.

Note: Grass Wind is considered a Master as she is Clan Leader