Chapter Three: A Meeting And The Great Lecture

Other clans are vexing

Their lodgings were indeed very fine. Opulent, even, by the rabbits' standards. The Dragon clan was a proud clan and would not stop at anything to display their wealth. The Dragon clan served as Tian Guo's leader and arbiter of clan law. Appointed by the Celestial Court, they symbolised the very best of the clans. The dragons took their responsibilities very seriously - too seriously, some clans had secretly felt - and were not afraid to intervene if a clan was found lacking. The tigers served as their enforcers and their eyes.

The dragons' annual Great Lecture was a prestigious event. Led and conducted by the clan master himself, the Lecture comprised of lessons and classes as well as competitions to test the clans. The ten-day event often ended with a Wish Lantern Day where participants would write their wishes on lanterns and send them skywards. Most clans had their own Wish Lantern day. Yet, held on the fifteenth day of the Spring Festival, when the moon was at its fullest, a Wish Lantern Day would be very significant indeed.

"We have our own pool!" Autumn Moon leaned over the balcony. "Look how clear it is!" And sure it was: a pool or a small lake with the clearest of water Jade Rain had ever seen.

Jade Rain laughed. Autumn Moon looked so happy!

The rabbit contingent washed their face and feet, before donning the simple pure white of the Learner's Garb. During the Great Lecture, all clans were rendered equal by wearing white. They helped themselves with the refreshment laid out by the servants: hot flower tea and plates of sweetmeats.

A gong broke the stillness of the air, such a low rumbling, like a dragon waking up from its slumber.

"It's time," Jade Rain said, holding Windsong tightly. The sword had been humming throughout the entire journey.

What did it sense?

*

Nine neat rows of young cultivators, all in white, bowed respectfully at the Dragon clan master, their hands clasped before them. They stood ready at the huge cavernous hall of the dragons. Equal before the Dragon clan, they all looked excited and nervous.

Yet, their individual clan personalities were still distinct. The tigers stood aloof, the horses quiet and stoic, while the ox looked solid and reliable, unsmiling and still. The monkeys fidgeted here and there, obviously not used to confined spaces for a long time. The goats eyed everybody anxiously, their feet shifting in nervous tics. The chicken preened.

The dogs listened attentively, their backs straight.

Except for one who shook his head repeatedly and looked out of place. He saw Jade Rain looking at him and glared back. He was good-looking with high cheek bones. Yet his face was arrogant. Cold.

What a rude fellow! Jade Rain made a mental note to avoid him. Some clans could be quite vexing.

"My warmest welcome to all the clans," the Dragon master, Lord Fu, boomed. "I declare the Great Lecture open."

Obediently, the nine rows of cultivators sat down for their first lesson.

"Today we will talk about protecting your chi..." Lord Fu began.

Jade Rain felt ennui settle heavily on their shoulders.

This was going to be a long day.

*

The lessons went on and on. Jade Rain had heard them before, back at Serenity Hall with Old Bing droning on about chi cultivation, protecting chi and "controlling your emotions". Most of the students listened attentively or pretended to look attentive. A couple of the monkeys were doodling on their calligraphy paper.