...This is sad.

Peter is oblivious to your words as he continues to babble non-coherent ones, smiling without a care in the world. It honestly warms your heart to see him like this.

Being like this isn't so bad once you realize what's out there.

"You... need a hug or something?" You perk up from your seat and turn your head towards the doorway. There, you find a man leaning on the dark wood frame with his arms crossed and looking at you with concern.

He was tall with dirty blonde hair, wearing nothing but a light blue button up shirt and black pants. His eyes were blue and looking down at you with worry, frowning as you sigh tiredly.

"I owe you a new frying pan." You grumble at him in an attempt to avoid this conversation, pinching the bridge of your nose as the lack of sleep over the past couple weeks kick in.

"It's fine." He smiles, pushing himself off the frame and shoving his hands into his pockets. Peter looks up at the man, cheerfully calling "Dada!" to him making you smile at the baby. The man walks in and picks him up, the baby laughing as he grips his nose. "You didn't answer my question."

"Don't wanna." You force out, patting your knees before pushing yourself up and placing you hands on your hips before turning to him. "I thought you weren't coming back for another week."

The man sighs again, seemingly having giving up on getting you top open up. "The wedding ended earlier then expected." He explains, rubbing Peter's surprisingly fluffy dark hair. "Jane and I managed to save you some cake, which shockingly survived a week without molding."

"Cake?" You ask curiously, your bitter attitude now gone as he mentions your favorite dessert. He chuckles at your question, though he continues to look at Peter who babbles as his father bounces up and down with his knees.

"Yeah." He replies. "It's downstairs with Jane. I guess you haven't eaten yet?" You nod, thinking how much of a dent buying a new pan for your best friend.

This was Micheal Cordero.

The two of you have known each other since you were children. You knew everything about each other, both inside and out. You knew you could rely on him when you needed but now isn't one of those times where you want to burden him with your problems.

"Nope." You shake your head. "Last thing I want to eat is my cooking."

"You know me and Jane can always teach - "

"I know." You sigh rolling your neck, hearing a bone or two cracking. "But you know I'm to stubborn to ask."

"Figured." Micheal shrugs, continuing to smile at this kid who grabs his fingers with his adorable tiny hands. "Go talk to Jane. I'll put him back to sleep."

You nod at him before leaving the room and walking down the stairs. The faint smell of smoke makes you cringe once more, praying that Micheal's wife, Jane, won't kill you for destroying one of her prized kitchenware.

At the foots of the stairs, in the kitchen sits a woman a little over 5 feet. Her hair was long and flawless, covering her backless dark blue sleeveless dress. It had white arches on the hem and torso of it, looking like gates almost. She's reading a book that was placed on the dining table, specifically one that belonged to you and one you had been reading before rushing upstairs.

You open your mouth and raise your head to greet her but she speaks first, pointing to a small container on the other end of the table. "Your favorite flavor, you're welcome."

You laugh nervously as you walk over to the table, pulling up a seat where the container was before sitting. "I owe you a new pan."

"I know." She replies flipping a page. "I smelled your cooking a mile away."