Chapter 44 - The Chemist

Start from the beginning

"So what does that mean?"

His eyes met mien. "We are in quarantine".

It felt surreal to see people in yellow bio-hazard suits storming the school, they came in they owned the place moving everything around setting up a quarantine area for us. They took some students including Sydney out of the classroom and into a bigger room. There they had set up two rows of beds each with a clear plastic tent around them. Scott left to go and talk with Ms. Martin, his spot was replaced by Alfie who had walked over to us.

"What is going on?" Alfie asked but unlike the rest of us he didn't seem worried just curious.

"Ms. Martin seems to think there's some sort or virus. Scott's gone to go get more information". I answered as the question was clearly aimed at me.

He shrugged not needing any more information.

"I bet they think it's smallpox", Stiles said, he was agitated by this situation. I understood as it is inconvenient for it to happen during our exam.

"Unlikely", the chemist had overheard our conversation. "Small pox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history", he informed us even though we didn't ask. "The other was rinderpest".

"So we should be comforted by that, right?"

"Unless it's something worse". His lips curled into a faint smile, was he enjoying this?

Malia was focusing on the noise outside. "Whatever it is they're taking it pretty seriously. Your dad is out there".

Alfie didn't seem phased by Malia's unusual behaviour or how she knew who was outside.

Stiles pushed himself off the table he leant back on. "I should call him". He walked over to the front desk and flicked through the envelopes.

"I wouldn't bother, they would've turned off any outside communication by now. We will just have to wait and see what happens". The chemist told Stiles. Stiles pushed the envelopes back into the box and retreated back over to us.

They started calling us out to get our bloods taken, something I despise. Alfie could sense how nervous I was, he moved closer to me.

"You'll be fine, just close your eyes and count to 15 when you open your eyes it'll be done". He put his hand on my arm and squeezed. My anxiety eased as he released.

"Thank you".

Mr. Yukimura came rushing into the classroom, his forehead glistening in sweat.

"You four need to come with me", he pointed over to everyone except Alfie.

"Is everything okay dad?" Kira obviously noticing the sweaty forehead.

"Yes yes everything is great. Just come with me", he straightened his back, trying to look calm.

"I'll see you later", I kissed Alfie on the cheek and followed Mr. Yukimura out of the classroom.

He led us to the boys locker room, where Scott was hunched over on one of the benches. His chest rose and fell heavily as small grunts escaped his mouth, something was wrong. Mr Yukimara 'everything is great' statement was now more a lie not that it was a surprise the man was sweating profusely.

The virus was effecting him differently, he couldn't control himself, the alpha in him found its way to the surface and it couldn't be pushed back down. His eyes glowed red and his claws were sharp, he flicked his hand forwards trying to get them to go away. Malia was also being affected, I felt her claws against my arm.