9. Another lifetime

Start from the beginning

"Care to dance?" She asked, a bit teasingly.

"It would be my pleasure."

I took my hand in hers, putting my hand on her shoulder and the other on her waist.

We started to sway on the beats of the music.

Then a thought came to me 'I really should tell her, shouldn't I?' I shrugged the thought off. Not now.

But as we kept dancing the thought was plaguing my brain. I sighed hoping I wouldn't regret my decision and started.

"Can I be honest to you?"

"Always."

"Promise you won't be mad?"

"You're worrying me-"

"Just- promise. Please."

"Alright, I promise"

"I- I appreciate you, so much." coward!

"I don't think you even know how much"

"Y/N..."

"No, I'm serious. You've helped me so much through the hardest points in my life." I said, suddenly glossy eyed.

"You mean so much to me"

"Come on, that's what friends do. Right?"

"Yeah... friends"

"Now, come on this is a party let's not get all teary." She said, softly laughing and grabbing my hand to hold it. I blushed and smiled.

After the party eventually ended I went in my room and sat on the windowsill.

'Maybe another time'. Once again, unconvincingly telling myself.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

1. — Final words

I slowly walked with the umbrella in my left hand, shielding myself from the cold trickles of water. My right hand held the single red rose I brought for her.

"Hey, Nat. Pretty gloomy today, huh?" I laughed dryly.

"I know this is the third day I'm coming here, but I just— I miss you. And, I really had to tell you something." A sigh left my lips before I spoke again.

"I can't believe it took me this long, but, here it goes... I love you. I love everything about you. Your smile, your confidence, how you hate to admit it but you love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the little fighting pose you always do when you fight... everything about you. I wish I would've just said this sooner, really. It would've— It could've—" My breath hitched as I felt tears coming.

"It could've been so much better- well, that's if you love me back. I'd like to think you did.."

My heavy breathing filled the air as the puffs of my warm breath created puffs of clouds.

"Sometimes I'd like to think we met in a different dimension.... and I told you all the things I didn't mention."

My eyes brimmed with tears as my bottom lip began to quiver, it wasn't meant to be like this. This was never part of the plan. But I knew her. She would do anything to try and make the world better. Even if that meant sacrificing her life.

"Maybe in another lifetime" Were my final words, before I placed the delicate rose on the dewy soil in front of the stone, and walked away.

That night I fell asleep thinking about her, expecting nothing out of it. But I dreamt about her...

It was an empty ballroom, weird. I had realized the soft classical music playing, seemingly out of nowhere. Suddenly I felt a soft tap on the back of my shoulder. Turning around I saw the all too familiar face of the red head.

'I've been waiting for you.' She spoke, her hands reached out to me, asking for a dance.

'Me too' I told her. I could feel the tears prickling my eyes. I stared at her for a while, taking in her appearance. Then took her hands in mine.

We glided for what seemed to be hours to the soft music that vibrated through the walls.

At that moment I felt so content. Having her in my arms while she was smiling at me as if I was her whole world.

Of course, I knew this was a dream and that I'd wake up sooner or later. So, I told her all the things I didn't mention; A thousand "I love you"'s, her small quirks that I found adorable, her passion for dancing, her bravery.

Deja vu... this was like the dance all over again. Only, this time I did tell her.

then I woke up.

The dream felt like a sort of closure. Having her in my arms for the first and last time.