Chapter 14: This Is Only The Beggining

Start from the beginning

"Right." Hearing his approval, I held his foot straight while my other one reached under his calf and massaged it gently. The referee approached behind me and asked as I did my work, "Need to make a substitute?"

"No, please wait..." 

"Rei-chan!! Leave him!! What cramp?!! Useless!! What cramp, this will do fine!!" I heard Sakuragi ranting and as soon as I saw him, he was running to our direction and before I knew it, he kicked Rukawa's cramped leg with force, "WEAK!!"

"Sakuragi!!" I yelled to him, just how wild is this novice?! I know he hates Rukawa but hurting him is just too far, especially when he is a teammate. Kogure and Yasuda tried to stop Sakuragi for taking another step, "Don't fool around Sakuragi!! Rukawa's been defending Sendoh throughout the game, of course he'll be tired!! You just been on court, of course you're full of energy!!" Kogure said.

"Be quiet!! I'm responsible for Shohoku's name, I can't tolerate having him disgrace our team!!" Sakuragi spat back but he's actually the one disgracing the team, "That idiot.. Ah! Rukawa, you okay?" I returned my gaze to his but he stood up from the floor and worried me. "Rukawa! Your...cramp....?" 

"I'm fine." He said with his low voice and he did seem fine now, can't believe Sakuragi's kick actually helped him recover quickly, man of surprises. He laid his hand on his hip and said, "Who said I can't  go on?" 

"You ah!! It's you!!" Sakuragi answered.

"Shut up. I just fell, that's all." 

These are arguing again, just when Akagi is not here. I sighed and went back to my seat as Rukawa told the coach he was not gonna need a sub. Sitting down on my chair, Ayako-san's voice was heard and asked, "Rei-chan, how's he?"

"Rukawa? He's fine for now, it's like Sakuragi's kick is some kind of new remedy for cramped legs." I chuckled from the thought and I heard her giggle back. Though he looks fine, it won't be much long for him to get fatigue. 

Sakuragi passed the ball to Yasuda which caught Ryonan off guard, but as senpai aimed his shot, it hit on the rim, "Rebound!!" Anticipating to get that ball to whomever gets it first, Rukawa came in to the picture and caught the ball before shooting again to get our point. "Off the boards!!" Kakuta exclaimed.

"Great catch!!" Ayako cheered. Rukawa is pretty amazing, even though he is tired, he is still pushing to win. I guess I don't need to worry much for now. 

As the game continued, Akagi's absence got us in a little trouble too. Rebounds aren't easy to get now, "Ryonan number 4, Uozumi 202cm, number 7 Sendoh 192cm, number 5 Koshino 183cm..." Ayako was reviewing the player's height and it grew us some concern, "...Compared to our  number 10 Sakuragi 188cm, number 11 Rukawa 187cm, number 5 Kogure 185cm! No matter what, it's very hard for Sakuragi Hanamichi to replace Akagi.. And Rukawa is getting tired.."

Losing Akagi is very hard, I get it. It would be a miracle for someone in the team to really replace the captain. Ryonan is now on offense, the players are now struggling to keep the ball far from the hoop but soon enough the enemy shot the ball to the rim, "Rebound!!"