8: Memories

Tears fell down my cheek, just as they did in my tale, in my past. People didn't think that hollows had hearts. But they did. Oh, they did. And I believed that when it came down to it, hollows had stronger hearts than anyone. To go through hell and still have that... thing beating in your chest, that thing that brings emotion... it only shows the strength of that heart. 

        "Oh, god... Aya..." 

        Her reaction... her eyes were wide, her jaw dropped, tears threatening to emerge from her eyes that glistened in the moonlight with their dampness. 

        "Y' can't tell me these things... Oh, Aya... You're so strong..." 

        "I'm weak. I hide behind this wall I made for myself." 

        "No... Aya, y' gotta see the truth in all this. Y' can't truly tell me that you're weak. You've been through so much, an' I see how ya deal with Nnoitora!" 

        "When I fight, I hide behind a pathetic wall of my void of emotion. To show emotion here, Kita, is to show that you are a coward." 

        "Well, you'll never be a coward in m' eyes, Aya."

~~ 

-Nnoitora's P.O.V.

        "...There's no freakin' way..." 

        "That's simply impeccable. Her memory, her assessment..." 

        "Can't believe she killed herself. You know, she always looked so tough." The Sexta seemed to be actually surprised. 

        ...'Looked' being the damn key term. How the hell didn't I know about any of that? How did she hide that? Hell, why would she want to? 

        "Nnoitora, do us all a favor and don't mention this shit to her. Last thing we need is her figuring out we heard." 

        ...I wouldn't dream of it. I'd never hear the freakin' end of it. 

        "Do you see it now, Lord Szayel? Truly impeccable." 

        A new voice interested all of us, so we all turned to see the appearance of a dark purple and blue and black bird perched behind us, on a rock. It was of decent size, though could be easily swatted away. 

        The Octivo outstretched his arm towards the bird, and it easily flapped its wings once or twice to lift itself barely and land on his wrist. "Indeed, Manami." 

        ...No wonder the freakin' thing looked familiar. 

        "...Nnoitora," the bird regarded me. I had never really spoken to Ayame's stupid roommates, save for the few quarrels I may have had with Kita. It stared at me with its stupid eyes and beak and whatnot. 

        "The hell you want?" 

        "To make sure that you understand." 

        "I understand what I need to understand. It isn't any of your business, bird." 

        "...Fine. Do as you wish. Just realize her feelings." 

        "Whatever. I'm out of here. If we don't head out she's going to see us." 

        "Agreed," The Octivo and the stupid bird nodded in unison. 

        I shrugged, and watched as they left. Szayel finally gave me a knowing stare before disappearing into the night. 

        And I sat there. 

        Ah, hell. Should I go talk to 'er? She'll fuckin' kill me if she figures out I was here. 

        It wasn't worth it, I decided, and then I skulked off. I'd talk to her another time, maybe, with hopes she wouldn't get pissed off.

~~ 

-Normal P.O.V. 

        "Aya... we should head back, get some sleep. M'kay?" 

        "Yeah," I nodded, wiping my eyes. "Let's go." 

        "Hey... Hey, stop cryin'! Mana might wake up, an' she'll get all worried again!" She tackled me jokingly, trying to cheer me up. "A'right? Y' gotta relax!" 

        I finally found it within me to smile. "Yeah."

~~

        Sleep finally found its way unto me, gripping at the corners of my eyes, trying to force me into its grasp. It was so taunting... perhaps even too taunting. 

        Because I fell for it, I suppose, even though the sun just began to rise. Even if I only slept for a few minutes... anything would be enough. My bags had bags, and my eyes were virtually grey. They were so dim and lifeless, so tired. Even though I knew that as soon as I fell asleep, Tesla or- even worse- Nnoitora would be in to wake me up. 

        Right now, nothing mattered. Nothing but sleep. 

        Nothing but peaceful, healthy sleep.