14. Death Anniversary

*Play the above music video for a better experience or play "On the Edge of Forever- Peter Gundry" from the Spotify playlist provided in my Bio/profile description.*

"Aish

"Aish...I can feel it now... Sudden surprises are never good." Yoongi mumbled looking at Puppy Seokjin.

Namjoon pressed his lips trying not to laugh at Yoongi's comment.

"Exactly......" The girl agreed.

"The shock from witnessing stepmom like that led to dad's minor heart attack. From that day onwards, he was always under medication. But even after being medicated, his body started getting weaker and weaker, that it finally ended up paralysing him by the end of the year."

"Wait, what happened to your stepmom then?" Hoseok questioned.

"Ah... Step Mom begged for his forgiveness. He thought there was a fault in his side as well as he never gave her enough time... so he decided to give her a second chance."

"Your dad was so thoughtful..." Hoseok said.

"Indeed. But that was the worst decision of his life. After he got paralysed, he started getting treatment at home. The doctor had appointed him a personal nurse. Three days before he died, it was mom's 11th death anniversary. I was getting ready to pay a visit to her columbarium, when grandma, our old housemaid came running to me and told me that she found out that the nurse was being paid by my stepmom for injecting wrong medicines to keep our dad paralysed."

"WTF" A swear word passed out of Yoongi's lips.

Taehyung and Jungkook were now staring at the ceiling, acting as if they heard nothing, trying to maintain their ears' purity.

"I immediately ran to my dad's room and found him lying on the soft but cold master bed. Though his body was stiff, he tirelessly tried to move his hands even though he had been paralyzed for a year. It was dark all around but not dark enough to not witness him shedding tears inside his big, luxurious room after seeing me standing beside him. He felt so helpless. I pressed his hand between my both hands trying to feel his warmth...."

(FLASHBACK)

"Dad. I am sorry. I was such a coward. I must have told you earlier." I cried closing my eyes.

I kissed his hand and held it closer to my heart, looking into his eyes, which were shedding tears along with me.

"Oh! What are you doing here? Aren't you going to the columbarium? I heard from Jang Mi that it's her mother's death anniversary today..." My stepmom nagged as soon as she entered the room.

I placed my dad's hand softly on the bed, wiped my tears and walked towards her.

"Yes, I am going. And, she was not just Jang Mi's mom, she was my mom too. In fact, not just a mom, she was once a human too. And sorry to say, I have never seen both these images in you." I retorted, staring right into her eyes.

"Huh. You..." she raised her hand to slap me, but I blocked her and shoved her hand away.

At the columbarium

We entered the columbarium. Jang Mi ran and stood right in front of mom's photo which was kept in front of the urn, placed in a "niche" along with the other urns.

"Jae Min Unnie. Eomma is here." she pointed to mom's photo with a wide smile reaching her sparkling eyes.

I slowly moved towards her with a small but warm smile.

I placed the bouquet of yellow roses beside her photo, mom liked them the most. Jang Mi closed her eyes joining her little hands and started praying to mom. I smiled at her smiling face.

"Eomma. Miahnae. I tried my best to keep this family together. But things all went wrong. Jang Mi still doesn't know anything about this world. No matter how hard I try, everything keeps falling apart. I feel so helpless." I too expressed my thoughts in prayer.

I was still standing there with my eyes closed and communicating with my mom when I felt Jang Mi pulling my skirt. I opened my eyes and bent down to see her face.

"Unnie. There is something behind Eomma's photo frame." She mumbled pointing her index finger towards the photo frame.

I stood straight and looked behind the frame. There was a paper folded and taped along with the frame. I carefully detached it from the frame and unfolded it. One paper was in white colour and the other was a bit yellowish.

My eye popped out and my jaw dropped after reading the contents of both the papers. Jang Mi tried to pull my hands down with her little hands, staring at my face innocently with her beautiful brown eyes that exactly resembled mom's eyes, to see what I got.

"What did you read?" Taehyung asked out of curiosity, leaning closer to Jae Min.

His voice bought Jae Min's mind back to the present. She darted around. Everyone's stare was fixed on her face with their lips parted in curiosity.

What do you think the paper must be about👁👄👁?And is there going to be any change in their life or will they be able to kick out her step mom? 🙂So many questions💭❓Let's find out in next chapters 💜✨

And is there going to be any change in their life or will they be able to kick out her step mom? 🙂
So many questions💭❓
Let's find out in next chapters 💜✨