1. prologue: head seer (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"What's the point of a stupid wheel?" Madera shrugged, looking back down at the rippling water. "It ain't doing much."

"It most certainly has a purpose," Samir huffed. Her lackluster response dwindled his enthusiasm.

Madera gave him another sidelong glance. "Don't get all huffy with me cause your creation doesn't make sense."

"You say that about all of them." Samir focused on the cresting waves, although his eyes danced with amusement.

"Damn straight, I do." Madera chuckled. "And every time, ya prove me wrong, dontcha?"

Samir threw her a smirk. "Somebody has to knock you down a peg or two. So why shouldn't it be me, Captain?"

She tossed back her head, long strands of braided silver hair whipping over her shoulder. Then, she let out her infamous hearty, deep laugh. Madera smiled at him with glee. "Attaboy!"

Samir chuckled; her mirth contagious.

"Well, I suppose we not gon' catch much else." Madera's face sobered as she tipped the woven basket next to her and peered inside. The fish scarcely came up halfway. "If this ain't a bad omen, then I don't know what is."

"It'll be fine," Samir reassured her, albeit the matter weighed  on his chest. They'll have to yield their entire catch to meet the taxes. It'd leave them with nothing but their dwindling reserves to hold them over.

His mother sighed and pulled her rod out, winding the taut string around its length. Samir mirrored the action then placed his alongside hers on the bottom of the boat.

"Perhaps my next project will be finding an efficient way to increase our haul," Samir muttered to himself. He picked up his journal and pulled the pencil perched atop his left ear. Flipping through the crumpled mess, loose pieces of paper began fluttering out.

He crammed them back in until he found a free spot amongst the scribbled black writing to add in another note.

"That should've been the first damn project," Madera mumbled as she rose to set sail.

Samir frowned at her as he glanced up from his writing. "There was never a need for it."

"But there's a need now, ain't it?" Madera said as she busied herself with tightening up their lines. "Sometimes you gotta make things in preparation of a possible need. Don't just be waiting for life to send you footloose."

He nodded, watching her work with brisk familiarity as he scrutinized her words in his mind. His frown deepened.

How can I know there's a need for it until it arises?

Once they set sail, the thoughts fluttered away as Samir embraced the exhilarating sensation of being one with the wind.

§

"Now don't you drop the damn basket," Madera said, glaring at Samir as she leaned against the wooden door of their tiny cabin. "We ain't got nothing to spare, you hear me?"

"I won't." Samir produced a lazy smile.

Madera quirked an eyebrow. "You sure you wanna go there like that? You know how they are."

He tugged on his black sleeveless shirt, searching for stains or holes. There were none. Samir shrugged. "Looks fine to me."

"I'm sure it does." Madera smiled at him. "You keep that attitude with ya."

Samir laughed. "The white clothes make me itchy. These are way more comfortable anyway, and I favor them."

"Ain't that the truth." Madera waved him away. "Well, what are you waiting for? Get some pep in your step."

He blinked in surprise. "You were talking to me."

"No excuses," Madera said with a goodhearted grin. "I've got traps to set. We can't eat air, can we?"

Samir twirled a finger, letting out a swirl of magic that created a tiny tornado at its tip. "Wanna try it?"

Madera let out another roaring laugh before swerving to the door, tossing a wave over her shoulder. Samir watched her disappear back inside the cabin, then started down the path that led to the city.

§