'No!' Her friend sounded shocked. 'What happened?'

The girl stuffed her hand into her bag and pulled out her phone, unlocking it as she gushed, 'They were totally making out backstage a little while ago. They weren't even hiding it; just standing there by the side all up in each other's faces. They're definitely together.'

I felt my face drain of colour as she turned her phone towards her friend to show her the picture she'd snapped of what, I could see over the friend's shoulder, looked a lot like it might have been Conor and Sally kissing. I glanced at Jackson. He was staring at the girl's phone as well, but slowly turned his shocked gaze to me.

'No way!' the friend was exclaiming, grabbing the girl's phone and peering at the photo closely. 'I thought those were just rumours.'

'I know. I'm heartbroken. But he and Sally are really cute together.'

I saw a familiar shape in the crowd, and he must have seen me too because he started moving towards us.

'There you two are!' Josh said cheerfully when he reached us. 'What's u-'

I grabbed his wrist and quieted him.

'I can't believe Sally and Conor are actually a couple,' the friend gushed. 'Have you shown this to anybody else?'

'Nope, saving it for Luke. This will be all over Facebook in a few hours.'

Josh scowled and grabbed both Jackson and I by the wrists, dragging us away from the bar without our drinks.

'Luke,' Jackson said, his face expressionless. 'That's the guy at my school that runs the Facebook fan page.'

Josh raised an eyebrow at him and dragged us both further into the crowd towards the far wall, where I saw Rachel standing with Loopy and a few other people from school. The others said their goodbyes when we reached them, and Rachel and Loopy turned to us, frowning slightly in concern.

'Obviously you know what that girl was saying was bullshit,' Josh stated matter-of-factly.

'She had a photo, dude,' I muttered, looking at the ground. 'I saw it.'

'I can't believe I broke up with you for her, and you broke up with me for him, and now they're together,' Jackson was saying, in a voice that conveyed he really did find it incomprehensible.

'What's going on here?' Rachel demanded authoritatively.

'They think Sally and Conor are together,' Josh scoffed, folding his arms and rolling his eyes.

'That's ridiculous!' Rachel exclaimed. 'Seriously?'

'Somebody got a picture of them making out beside the stage,' I explained, wondering how humiliating it would be to ask Josh to take me home and hug me.

'That's not true,' Loopy interrupted. 'Sally would never kiss Conor. They're like siblings. What you probably saw was them messing with the audience and pretending.' She waggled her thumbs at us. 'Using these.'

'Why would they do something like that?' I asked, scowling.

Loopy shrugged. 'They do it all the time. Where do you think the rumours came from?' Jackson and I looked at her doubtfully. 'I'm Sally's roommate!' she exclaimed, throwing her arms up in the air. 'She thinks it's hilarious,' and then looking at me meaningfully, added, 'You know. Because. Of Conor.'

I held up my hands to get her to stop. 'I get it.'

'Well?' Rachel asked, turning back to look at us. But I think we had both chickened out at this point and resigned ourselves to going home early.