'Letter to the Writer' [2001]

I found this motivational reference piece on Ed's desktop which now appears verbatim … hope it rounds things off on a relatively high note : )

95 Bridgeway Street

Camden Town

NW1

30 December 2001

Dear Ed,

Aged 29¾ and never been published. Doesn't sound too bad to me, or too old for that matter. Let me tell you something: whatever happens with this novel, I truly hope, more than anything else, that you finish the project. That you have a body of work, some evidence of creativity (talent even!) to show for all your late developing ability.

What ability, you ask? Well, I don't really think that Mrs Hadley threw you out of her class because she was demented or irrational. I don't think Mr Shirley or Dave G were feigning surprise when they read the quality of your work. And no-one has seemed surprised that you think you're able to write a novel. This is because they see and hear your understanding of the English language. What they don't know is that you have a potentially fun and interesting plot to boot.

OK, I don't want to drone on so let me remind you of a few things: the scene near the end of Back to the Future; Kes circa 1986, Nigel Benn, Four Herberts go sprinting in Newcastle, and Euro 2004. I was about to write that it's a shame you've got to write the book before it gets published, but I hope you really do enjoy writing this novel. I don't mean to add too much pressure, and I know you may think, “well, I can always come back to it” (but when?!), but you know you can do it. A clean break or just evidence of intelligence, whatever this novel becomes, please ensure that it gets finished.

Some brief advice in times of trauma and self-doubt: do not fear your style will not be appreciated by all; a different style will be welcomed by publishers, so long as the writing is clear and expressive. Pick up a Bret Eton Ellis or Magnus Mills to understand and appreciate the need for a different voice (and how about Boxy an Star?). This is not to say you should forget the constant requirement to keep your writing warm and personable; you are, after all, writing about people for people. Try to avoid a “shopping list” style, and remember your protagoniost should be having the time of his life, and so too should you.

Whatever happens you must endeavour to enjoy the novel, and hopefully this will transmit into your writing. The idea of being published is haughty and enamouring, but it is, as I've already said, an achievable ambition. And it has to be given a go.

Anyway, good luck. I truly hope more than anything else you get the book finished, published, and sold by the wheelbarrow load, but six thousand copies a week won't be printed or sold if you give up before the job is done. It'll be tough, but there are always new characters and fun themes to introduce when the going gets tough.

Work hard and have fun,

Ed