"Promise." Y/N said.

Hermione seemed rather pleased, though she wished that Winky would just accept life as a free elf, she did understand how distressed Winky was. 

"Where did you get that?" Y/N asked, noticing a singular red rose that sat on Hermione's bedside table.

Hermione let a small smile form on her face as she gently picked up the rose.

Y/N raised an eyebrow a small smirk playing at her lips. "By the look on your face, I'm assuming someone gave that to you"

Hermione rolled her eyes playfully. "Viktor gave it to me this morning" she said, gently tracing her finger along the outer edge of the petal.

***

"Potter! Black! Weasley! Will you pay attention?" Professor McGonagall said, watching in disappointment as Harry and Ron had been having a mini sword fight with Fred and George's fake wands, Y/N being a referee to the small match.

"They're almost done professor, just give us a moment-" 

"Black! Don't make me give you a detention, I know you've already got two this week with Professor Snape"

"It's actually three as of today" Y/N grinned smugly.

Professor McGonagall huffed, having only met 4 students in her time of teaching that had as many detentions as Y/N. Even Fred and George didn't have nearly as many as Y/N.

Ron and Harry put down the wands, amused at Y/N's response, Hermione simply sunk backwards into her chair.

"Now that Potter, Weasley and Black have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor McGonagall, with an irritated look at the three of them. "I have something to say to you all."

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish —"

"Dress robes and formal attire will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then —"

Professor McGonagall stared around the class.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down," she said. "But that does NOT mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

She glanced a Y/N, who simply leaned forward on her desk, in boredom.

The bell rang, and everyone packed their bags and swung them onto their shoulders.

Professor McGonagall called above the noise, "Potter — a word, if you please."

Harry let out a defeated sigh, assuming he was about to get called out for sword fighting in class.

"We'll wait outside" Y/N said, as she, Ron and Hermione stepped outside of the classroom, the door shutting behind them.

"I'm guessing that's why I need to wear those hideous robes" Ron said, dread laced in his tone.

"They aren't.. that bad.." Hermione said.

"Yes they are" Y/N and Ron said. 

Y/N would've agreed with Hermione in an attempt to make Ron feel better if she hadn't already planned to buy him new ones.