25

𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚖 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜, 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 <𝟹

"Shocking business . . . shocking . . . miracle none of them died . . . never heard the like . . . by thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape. . . ."

"Thank you, Minister."

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say. First Class, if I can wangle it!"

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister."

"Nasty cut you've got there. . . . Black's work, I suppose?"

"As a matter of fact, it was Potter, Weasley, Granger and Black's daughter, Minis-ter. . . ." 

"No!"

"Black had bewitched them, I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charm, to judge by their behavior. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions. On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape. . . . They obviously thought they were going to catch Black single-handed. They've got away with a great deal before now. . . . I'm afraid it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves . . . and of course Potter has always been allowed an ex- traordinary amount of license by the headmaster —"

"Ah, well, Snape . . . Harry Potter, you know . . . we've all got a bit of a blind spot where he's concerned."

"And yet — is it good for him to be given so much special treat- ment? Personally, I try and treat him like any other student.—"

"And any other student would be suspended — at the very least — for leading his friends into such danger. Consider, Minister — against all school rules — after all the precautions put in place for his pro- tection — out-of-bounds, at night, consorting with a werewolf and a murderer — and I have reason to believe he has been visiting Hogsmeade illegally too —"

"Well, well . . . we shall see, Snape, we shall see. . . . The boy has undoubtedly been foolish. . . ."

Y/N laid listening with her eyes closed. There was a throbbing soreness all over her body. It felt as if she'd been dropped 50 feet.

"What amazes me most is the behavior of the dementors . . . you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister . . . by the time I had come 'round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances. . . ."

"Extraordinary. And yet Black, and Harry, and the girl —"

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all straight back to the castle."

There was a pause.

Y/N opened her eyes which felt tired and droopy. She tried to sit up but felt a sharp pain in her torso, causing her to wince quietly.

"No- don't sit up" Madam Pomfrey scolded, now walking briskly up the dark hospital ward. 

She was carrying a large block of chocolate.

"Ah, you're awake!" she said turning towards Harry. She placed the chocolate on Harry's bedside table and began breaking it apart with a small hammer.

"you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're — Potter, what do you think you're doing?"

Harry sat up, putting his glasses back on, and picking up his wand.

"I need to see the headmaster," he said.