CHAPTER 5 - DROWNING

ISABELLE

WEDNESDAY, 2:50 PM

2021

Mike and Ryder led us down the stairs and I was pretty sure it went somewhere in the underground. The narrow corridor was dark and tiny lights lit at the corners, making it even creepier. The walls were damp. There should be water nearby.

''Do you think they are going to get rid us?'' Benny tried to whisper but before I could reply, Mike spoke, ''Don't you think we'd get caught right away if we did that?''

See? That's what I meant 'tried to whisper'. Every word we spoke echoed like hell.

I was clutching Nick's arm and I knew Benny was already ripping his other arm off by the way he winced. I was expecting the slippery stairs would lead to some dungeon with a lot of torture machines, blood splattered everywhere and slimy things on the walls...I know, I have quite an imagination. Shouldn't have watched all those movies.

But I was totally wrong when we reached the other side and bright light blinded us after stepping out from the dark. It was a sea! Bright and blue with a clear sky and I should be happy but by judging what came next, I knew this would be my place of death.

''Now guys, get the equipment from that shed and put it on. We're diving!''

I looked at Nick In horror and he mirrored my expression. I was afraid of the deep sea. I never tried since the last 10 years. It was one of my fears.

I slowly followed the others and put on my scuba fins and masks. ''Should I just go and tell them you can't swim?''

''No, I'll do it.''

''You know what will happen after that, right?''

''I know. I will try.''

Nick was even more anxious than I. I felt hands turn me around and I came face to face with Ryder. He adjusted the suit and tightened the cylinder over my back. ''You okay?'' I couldn't manage to say anything, so I just nodded. He did not let go right away, he stared into my eyes, and I quickly averted my gaze behind him, in case he found fear there.

The boat took us far away from the shore and I saw Nick standing there nervously. Benny, I and the few others jumped in as soon as the whistle sounded and all I saw was water. Everything came to my mind, and I tried to block it off. It was just the same except there was no water flooding my nose and mouth.

''Bella, move.'' The voice told me. Ryder.

I can't, I tried to say.

''Control your breathing.''

I tried to move my limbs, but it seemed impossible at the moment, and I couldn't control my breathing. It felt cold like was freezing to death and my eyes rolled back into my head.

****************************************

RYDER

WEDNESDAY, 3:15 PM

2021

She was pale. I even made sure she had the tools proper way, but she said she was okay. She was certainly afraid to swim. That boy, Nick, looked at her worriedly. I focused on the monitors as soon as everyone dived into the water.

''What's happening to the girl?'' Mike asked and I ran over to his side, glancing at the monitor.

It was her. She was quite still and was breathing hard.

''Bella, move'' I called. ''Control your breathing.''

I waited for her to do something, but her body rolled over and I knew she was unconscious. I ran towards the shed and pulled the oxygen cylinders over my back and jumped right in the cold water, looking for her. It took me 10 minutes to pull her out of the water and I removed the mask from her face. She was freezing and the water was not even that cold. I loosened her suit and pulled her over to my chest, rubbing her back vigorously, trying to warm her up but she didn't respond. It was no use. I carried her and hurried to the infirmary.

She hadn't drowned. She had perfect level of oxygen in her tank but what the hell was happening?!

*********

I stood outside the doors and I burned with anger at what I saw, Nick and Bella laid on the bed together with him rubbing her back slightly and her arms around him. I was going to kill him someday if this continues.

''What are you looking at?'' Hank bumped intentionally and I didn't reply but he saw what was going on.

''Oooh, little Ryder is upset...'' He sang

''Shut it''

''Hey, he might be her friend or something like that.'' What kind of a friend is that close?

''I don't care. I just came to visit.'' I walked away but he came after me anyway. I was lying and I knew I had something for this girl.

I did not know anything about her but something about her pulled me towards her and I wasn't sure what it was. I had never experienced something like this, and I hated seeing her in the arms of another man.

''It's nothing serious. She had a panic attack as soon as she dived in'' The nurse explained as she saw us approaching, ''She seemed to be afraid of water. You shouldn't have forced her''

''I didn't even know.'' I muttered. 

***************************************

Short chapter, sorry!!