Chapter 6: Image Problem

"Are you sure she wasn't hit by a laser?" Ulrich asked as Jeremy had just finished explaining how something had happened to Yumi while she was helping Aelita on Lyoko and now she was unconcious in the nurses office.

"Maybe a Megatank was hiding nearby." Mel added.

She was feeling sick earlier on and missed out on most of her classes. However, she was feeling better now that she'd taken some medicine and had some rest, so she decided to join the others just in time to hear about Yumi.

"No, no. I would've seen it on the screen." Jeremy replied. "She still had all her life points when she was devirtualised."

"Well in any case something weird happened." Mel said.

"Yeah, that's for sure." Jeremy agreed. "The proof is she passed out in the scanner, only the return trip's pretty easy."

"That's what you think." Odd said. "You oughtta try it one of these days. You'll love it."

Just then, they spotted Yumi wandering by.

"Yumi." Ulrich called out to her and she turned to them in surprise.

"Guess you're feeling better, huh?" Odd said.

"You worried us for a second there." Mel said.

"Tell us what happened." Jeremy said.

Yumi looked around at the four of them before turning to leave, but was stopped by Mel placing a hand on her shoulder.

"You sure you're okay?" She asked in concern.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." Yumi replied.

"Yumi, tell us what happened on Lyoko." Jeremy said.

"Nothing, you hear?" Yumi replied somewhat snappy. "Come on. Let's go over to the Factory now."

"In your condition? That's a pretty crazy idea." Ulrich replied.

"Hey listen, we've got more important things to do. Like eating, for example." Odd said.

Yumi then stormed off, Odd following after her as he shrugged to the others.

"What about Aelita? Is she safe?" Ulrich asked as he, Jeremy and Mel hung back.

"Yeah, I hope so." Jeremy replied. "I told her to stay in the tower."

****

The group were now all in the cafeteria eating.

"And you really can't remember what happened?" Jeremy asked as Yumi had just finished telling them she didn't remember what happened to her on Lyoko.

"No, nothing." Yumi replied.

"Do you think it could've come from the scanners? A bug or something like that?" Ulrich wondered.

"Maybe it's Xana." Mel said.

"Yeah. He could be trying out a new way of attacking." Odd said.

"I haven't the slightest idea. I'm wondering if all these transfers are becoming a health problem." Jeremy said.

Sissi then walked by with a tray of food.

"Hey, do I smell fish or just cheap perfume?" Odd asked.

"You're such a riot." Sissi replied. "Oh, Ulrich. What do you say we get together after school, huh?"

"Get together with you? Very tempting, but uh... not." Ulrich replied which made the table of friends laugh.

Normally Yumi would be laughing with them, but instead she watched them almost robotically.