Episode 17

The Monday after Triskelion Point everyone was tired and exhausted during their classes

The Monday after Triskelion Point everyone was tired and exhausted during their classes. The day dragged on and the evening was subdued. Derek found himself and the majority of Melissa's male students in their dormitory long before curfew. Everyone was quiet, so Stiles' silence didn't stand out.

Tuesday evening was a movie night. The giant projector was set up on the lawn near the fire pit and students were scattered about, sitting on blankets or picnic tables while enjoying the latest adventure in the Marvel universe. The movie seemed to hold Stiles' attention and while Derek was dying to know what the other was thinking as the two sat inappropriately close, he didn't dare interrupt to ask.

Wednesday, during group Derek held Stiles' hand as they shared an armchair and listen to Jackson drone on and on as he made up for his lack of sharing time from their previous weekend hike. Melissa didn't press her students that evening and kept the conversation flowing organically, rather than calling on each of them individually to speak. Stiles didn't say a word.

It wasn't until Thursday after class when Derek finally scrounged up enough courage to pull Stiles aside and attempt a conversation.

"Hey," Derek said meekly as he ducked out of the path of students, pulling Stiles along with him. "We, um, haven't had much of a chance to talk since—"

"Yeah," Stiles agreed on an exhale, looking at the ground. "I—"

"Stiles! There you are!" Scott called when he spotted the pair. "Come on, practice! Our first game is on Monday. Let's go!" Without waiting for a reply, Scott pulled Stiles' other arm. "Sorry Derek, see you at dinner!" He called over his shoulder, not sounding even remotely apologetic.

Stiles appeared alarmed at the sudden tug and shot Derek a remorseful look but didn't say anything to hinder his friend either. Derek watched the two of them go, his mouth hanging open in an unspoken protest.

At dinner the entire table talked about nothing aside from how ready the lacrosse team was. Boyd tried to bring basketball into the mix and he nudged Derek for help, but Stiles' muteness must have been contagious, because Derek found it difficult to string two coherent words together on the subject. John stopped by before they were finished with his daily update on Kate's trial and asked Stiles to report to his office once he was done eating.

Derek tried to find him later, but the younger student wasn't in the common room, by the gazebo, or even down by the lake. He knew he was no longer with John because the head counselor was currently disrupting an argument that had broken out between two of Parrish's students.