Episode 16

The next few weeks were tumultuous at best

The next few weeks were tumultuous at best. Every time Melissa or John made the effort to single him out, Stiles felt fear creep over him. He was constantly expecting to be told that he would be shipped back to Florida, although whether it be for a hearing or permanently was still yet to be seen. The not knowing was killing him and as a result he found it impossible to relax.

Derek wasn't doing much better. In addition to visibly jumping when Stiles' name was called, he'd also flinch whenever he was asked to go to the office. Kate's trial had officially started, and Peter was making good on his promise to keep John informed, which meant daily updates. Truly the only thing Derek needed to hear was that she was found guilty and until then he wouldn't be able to breathe easy.

The Hale name and intricate details of the arson case meant that it was getting national coverage too. For Derek's well-being, the counselors took it upon themselves to visually monitor all media room activity. Stiles knew it was to give Derek as much of a sense of privacy as possible, but it also meant he didn't feel comfortable opening or responding to any of Joe's emails. Not knowing if Simon was keeping up on his end of the bargain was messing with his nerves as well. His fingernails didn't stand a chance.

As a result, the tension poured off both Derek and Stiles in waves and was starting to affect the others. It got so bad that one Friday afternoon Melissa moved her group session to the sloping lawns near the lake and instructed them all in the fine art of yoga. It actually helped quite a bit and soon became a weekly activity.

It was during one such yoga session in the first week of March that John approached Melissa's group solemnly. Stiles took one look at the head counselor and immediately found himself drawn to Derek's side. The older teen's eyes were already staring back at him, the tree pose they were supposed to be doing was all but forgotten. They just knew one of their names was about to be called and from John's expression it wasn't going to be good either way. Melissa told her group that they were done early and dismissed them for the day. She must have sensed the doom as well because she came up behind both Stiles and Derek and offered a reassuring side hug to each as she sandwiched herself between them. The three stood together as an immovable wall against whatever bad news John had come to deliver.

"Stiles," John called, the timber of his voice just an octave lower than it should be. "You have a phone call to take in my office."

Melissa's head snapped up and she glared at John in an almost accusatory fashion. Perhaps she didn't appreciate his frankness, but it sounded like someone was on hold for him, and it would have been a lot worse to make the walk to the office alone had John used the radio to page Stiles instead. And just like that their wall broke. Stiles stepped forward instantly feeling the lack of warmth where Melissa's arm had been across his shoulder. Derek reached out a hand for him but Stiles shook his head and mouthed 'later', knowing that they would meet beneath their oak tree.