chapter four

Edited

Wybie's POV

I was seated by the well, my arms rested on my legs and the cool, wind breeze flowing around me. I often come here to think or be alone. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths, hoping Coraline wouldn’t show up and insult me again. But my calming moment was interrupted, because I heard my name being called from a distance.

 “Grandma…” I muttered. I swear, she never lets me do anything. I got up, placed my helmet on, and rode back home.

Once I was back at the house I placed my bike in its place, putting the helmet on it’s seat. I knew no one could steal it since we live in the middle of nowhere. But, if it does go missing, it had to be that Jones kid.

I walked into the house, passing the cat on the steps. I gave him a small wave before fully entering the house. Walking to the living room, where I knew Grandma would be, I asked her, “Yes, Grandma?” 

She turned her head away from her knitting and picked up something next to her on the ground. Then, she handed it to me.

It was a rectangular box, wrapped in brown paper and poorly sealed with sticky tape. 

 “What is it?” I asked, thinking that it might have been a gift from her. “I don’t know. The postman gave it to me, said it was for you.”

I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “And you didn’t open it?”
“Who do you think I am, Wyborn? I wouldn’t open your mail.” 
I shrugged. “I never get any, so I wouldn’t know.”

She threw one of her kitting pens at me, and with just enough luck, I dodged losing an eye.
 “T-Thanks Grandma! I’m going to my room now!” I rushed to my room, knowing she had better things to do than run after me.

I sat on my bed and tore the paper off to see a white box. On it stood my full name. “Wyborn…” I sighed as I read it. Really though, who would name their kid that? Well, my mom, I guess...

I shook it off and continued to open it. I slowly took the cardboard lid off of the box and saw a doll inside.

It looked like...me? Why and how? Who made it? Was it the same person who made the doll that looked like the neighbor girl? 

It looked exactly like me, from my hair down to my shoes-and the buttons were even brown like mine? Though, as disturbing as this was, he looked so carefully made.

I took in all his features. Then, I thought to myself, “It’s a bit creepy they know what I look like…”

 “Can I send it back? Is there a return address? Or maybe they sent it to the wrong house?” I turned the paper the doll was wrapped in around and sure enough, there was no return address. 

 “Damn, I guess this is mine now…” I stared at the doll for another second before sitting it up on my bedside table. I took a cocktail sword out of my drawer and placed it on his lap, giving myself a little chuckle.

“Guess your watching guard. Anyone comes in, smite them.”