chapter three

Edited

Your POV 

I was in my room, the door closed and locked. Coraline wouldn’t be able to come in if she were to snoop around. She seemed to be having fun for the few hours she’s been here. But, it was time for them to have the first dinner. The dinner that draws their little minds into a trap.

The dinner was like no other. It was a fancy supper with a plethora of food the child loved. Coraline’s had special things added, like the gravy train, the chandelier milkshake maker, the dumb dad jokes she loved to hear, and of course, the welcome home cake.

I sat on my bed. I had been in the room for hours. I didn’t need to leave it for anything-well, I had to use the bathroom twice, but I wasn’t seen. Right now, though, I was zoning in and out of reality.

That boy, he wouldn’t leave my mind. I really wanted to meet him- more, I wanted to meet him in his realm: the human realm.

I’ve always wanted to go to the other world. I’ve had questions about it since I was told another one existed. Would it be the same as here? Can it change like it does here when Mother morphs our world? Do they have people made up of sand too? Or is all of it just here? Just how different is it?

My thoughts drifted back to him. What would happen if I met the boy? Would I be stuck as a human? How would he think of me if I was in my true form?

Then, I remembered.

I looked at my closet and contemplated. I want to...I really want to send the doll out. I could watch him-no wait, that sounded creepy...

But I still want to send it out to him…maybe I should. But what if Mother finds out? She can’t find out, she’d keep me in the mirror for a long while. 

What if she doesn't find out? I made the doll...she can't use it...

I stood up from my bed and walked to the closet. I gently opened it and stared. Scared of the repercussions, I hesitated. With a shaky sigh, I took it off the shelf it previously sat on. I gazed at it, still fighting with myself.

Mother is busy...too busy to notice me moving around the house...I've gone throughout the house before without being seen or heard.

 “God please don’t catch me,” I whispered as I tiptoed to the door. I locked it behind to make it seem as if I were still in there.

I stayed against the wall as I slowly took small steps to the stairs, the doll tightly gripped in my arms. I peeked over the staircase to see if there was anyone there. Once I saw that it was clear, I quickly but quietly walked down the stairs. The sound of the others were muffled from the walls. I ran past the kitchen, knowing the doors were closed, and stopped by the sewing room door.

I silently opened the door and slipped in. I walked past the mirror and saw my reflection. Just before I got a good look at myself, the image morphed into a room. It was as big as mine but looked completely different. The bed was half-way made and clothes were piled up on a chair. It was obvious someone lived there, but it was empty. That was, until someone walked in.

It was him.

He walked to his bed, his shoulders drooping, and flopped down onto it. 

“Wyborn! Did you clean my trunk?” I heard a woman yell. “Yeah, Grandma! I did! It’s clean!” He replied.

“His name is Wyborn?” I muttered.

Then the mirror went back to being a mirror. I continued what I was doing and went to the window. I looked behind me, making sure Mother wasn’t standing there. When I saw she wasn’t, I opened the casement. I took a few deep breaths and exhaled. I held the doll out to the abyss in front of me.

“Please, find Wyborn.” I spoke as I opened my hands, letting the doll drift into the darkness. 

I closed the window and looked at it for a second, kind of regretting my irrational decision. 

“Please don’t let Mother find out.” I mumble before heading back to my room. Once inside, I sit down, now waiting for him to find it.