The woman was seething as she snarled past gritted teeth. "You sick, slimy bastard! Where is he?! What did you do with him?!" 

Keon's own eyes narrowed in rage. "Me?! What the hell did you do with him?!"

Leilah shoved him back, his head thudding against the brick behind him. "Stop playing dumb! Where the hell did you take John?! Where is he?!"

Keon thrashed as he tried to grab onto her wrist to get her to release him. Leilah instead froze his arms up against the wall, only leaving his eyes and mouth the ability to move. "I haven't done a damn thing to him! Out of the both of us, I should be the one asking you these questions with how you've been acting lately! Not to mention your damn track record!"

Before either of them could get another word in, a set of heels clicked against the concrete floor and a looming shadow blocked the glaring light from the hall, the prim and stoic form of Valerie appearing in the doorway. 

She had her hand tucked in her pocket before pulling it back out and crossing her arms.

Her honey dipped irises were calm as she eyed the scene before her. With only a cursory glance to the lavender haired woman, she spoke with an even and relaxed tone. Though, it was more of a command than anything. "Leilah. Put him down."

The lavender haired woman looked between the two for a minute before she reluctantly dropped the man. Keon took a good few paces away from her, straightening out his tie as he eyed her. Leilah whirled around and directed her attention to the blonde standing there with the light haloing her figure. 

Leilah barely kept her voice even as she spoke. "Where is John? What did he do with him?!" She pointed an accusing finger towards the man in the room.

Keon huffed as he stared at her in offence. "I haven't done a damn thing! I came in here for another lesson and here I find you with the room completely empty and John is nowhere to be found! You let him escape, didn't you?!"

The woman's emerald eyes widened in shock as rage began to creep through her veins. "You piece of sh-!"

"Enough."

Both looked over to Valerie who had her arms crossed over her chest, gaze neutral. She was leaning against the doorway, a bored air surrounding her as she listened to their bickering. "You two don't have to worry about the little brat anymore."

Leilah felt her heart drop to her feet and then some. 

Of course...she should've known.

She had her suspensions...

She knew Valerie had been planning something with John...

She just didn't think it would be this soon...

This was all her fault...she should've done something sooner, she should've gotten help sooner, she should've broken him out-...!

No.

No, she couldn't have...

If she had helped John escape, Darren and Seraphina would suffer too.

The last thing she wanted was for her sister to suffer more because of her mistakes and for Darren to get roped into this madness. She already failed to keep her sister safe when they had been targeting her for her ability. She couldn't let the others do worse to her or to Darren who was probably facing his own trials right now.

Dammit all, she felt so helpless!

It took everything in Leilah not to jump the woman right then and there. Her voice was just barely a whisper as she spoke. "What did you do with John...?"