Preface

"Marina Aldago."

   I whip my head around, turning to look at him, heart pounding. He's smiling, an evil horrible smile.

  "Marina, no!" Mom screams running towards me, but Iva and Pandora lunge to hold her back. The supernaturals will hurt her if she tried to stop this. And the last thing I want is for anyone else to get hurt because of me.

  Heath.

  "What have you done to Heath?" I cry, charging towards him. Pure rage is the only emotion I feel. No fear,  no disappointment. 

  "Ah, ah, ah, little human duckling," he says, shaking his finger. He pulls out the Qortan Ray. "How would you like to spend the day falling into the abyss? It'll be such a shame if you can't participate in the little game."

  I freeze, stepping back. If I try to rebel, fight back, do anything they don't  want me to do, they'll take Onyx next.

  "There's a good girl," he whispers, putting the Qortan Ray back in his belt. "Now come with me."

 I glance back at Mom. Her face is streaked with tears and her mouth is silently screaming. 

  "No lookie, little girlie," he reminds, then my vision goes dark. He's placed a blindfold over my eyes. 

  "Mom!" I cry as he pushes me forward. "Don't let..." I realize what I'm about to say just in time and morph my words to "Stay safe!"

  He cackles. "Oh, dear little human, don't you know? Here on A-19, no one is safe."