21. Just Be Honest (Cerise, Daring)

The crowd is electrified in the stands of Ever After High's bookball field. It's the tail end of the fourth (and final) quarter against the school's third biggest rival: Sorcerer Academy. The students are going crazy, waving their signs and jumbo foam fingers. Some are enjoyably munching on concessions while others are so invested in the action that they can barely breathe. On the ground the players are feeding off their energy, prepared to push themselves to the limit to beat the team of spellcasters once again. The clock is ticking on the scoreboard— there's a five point lead by the Sorcerers. Ever After High will need a touchdown if they want to steal the game.

Beads of sweat are lined on Daring Charming's forehead. He's in position, the tip of his shoe dug into the turf and his hands at the ready. His blood is pumping so strongly through his veins he can almost taste it. The referee's whistle shrieks and before he knows it, Daring is charging for the bookball. He crashes into a few opponents but pushes them aside to make an open space and signals for the toss. His arms are wide open ready for the catch. He can hear the chanting of his name from the spectators in his ears and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't enjoying it, but that was besides the point. As the bookball comes into view Daring lunges forward with all his might. The crowd roars when he catches it midair. Satisfied with his quick moves Daring strikes a pose and throws a smile, members of the crowd swoon and holler and cheer and Daring momentarily revels in it before attempting to head to the end of the field. However, what Daring had failed to notice was the Academy's secret weapon: jersey #77.

Normally when Sorcerer Academy makes the decision to cheat they refrain from using their own magic as doing so is against the rules. Due to this they find different, more crafty and practical ways to change the game and put themselves in the lead. Jersey number 77 is the mastermind behind every game. No one on Ever After's team knows his name, nor anything else about him besides the fact that he has abnormally large feet . . .

. . . And he's fond of using them to his advantage.

With a loud thud Daring tumbles to the ground, clutching the bookball tight to his chest. His back aches and his leg throbs, if it hadn't been for his helmet his head would've been pounding, too. Thankfully, he's fine. His pride is definitely bruised and so is his side but it's nothing a bag of ice won't fix. Still, he shakes it off and tucks away his feelings. He cautiously rises to his feet and is about to start down the turf when a sudden gust of wind nearly knocks him back down again.

"What in the—"

With godlike swiftness Cerise snatches the bookball and leaves a confused Daring in the dust. She zooms down the field with unparalleled speed, weaving in between players from both teams. The fans begin to countdown. Five. Cerise picks up the pace, dodging any and all attempts to hinder her from her goal. Four. Despite her feet being on fire and her hair whipping in her face Cerise feels ecstatic, like she's on top of the world. Three. The adrenaline pumping through her brings her so much joy . . . It's indescribable. Two. She's so close.

"Just a little bit more—"

A final shriek comes from the scoreboard. She doesn't hear it. She doesn't hear the uproar of the student bodies, either. Just her heart beating loudly in her ears and somewhere in her throat, everything is a blur. It's not until she feels herself being jostled and hoisted into the air, the cool wind blowing in her face again, that she realizes she did it.

They won.

Cerise let's herself be celebrated, burying her shyness and thoughts of self doubt. Sure, she's been on the team for more than one season and yes, she's been given an official uniform and a letterman's jacket, but there are times where she feels unworthy to be part of such victories. Her inhuman athletic skills give her a greater advantage on the field, it can't be helped that sometimes she feels like a cheater. But as she's carried off the field and into the locker room hallway she tries to remind herself that she earned her spot on the team, she earned her varsity letter, she earned her hideous red-and-white striped uniform. Her teammates like having her around and she enjoys spending time with them for the most part.