Chapter 27 - Voyage of the Damned

Voyage of the Damned, part 3 -

They made it through the door on the other end and the Doctor ran ahead again.

"Right. Get yourself up to Reception One. Once you're there, Mister Copper, you've got staff access to the computer. Try to find a way of transmitting an SOS. Astrid, you're in charge of this", he handed her the EMP Copper had given him earlier, "Once it's powered up, it'll take out a Host within fifty yards but then it needs sixty seconds to recharge. Got it? Rickston, take this", he gave him his sonic, "I've preset it. Just hold down that button, it'll open doors. Do not lose it! You got that? Now go and open the next door. Go on, go!"

"Alright", Slade answered a little fearfully and took off.

The Oracle found a first aid kit and handed to Mister Copper, "You'll need this, will you be alright with it?"

He nodded and the Doctor smiled, "Need you fighting fit. Astrid, where's the power points?"

"Under the comms."

They ran over to a control panel and point the EMP at it.

"See, when it's ready that blue light comes on there", he told her.

"You're talking as if you're not coming with us", Astrid said, looking from the Doctor to the Oracle.

He looked at his wife as well, "There's something down on deck thirty one, we're going to find out what it is."

"What if you meet a Host?"

"Well", he smirked up again, "Then we'll just have some fun."

"Sounds like you do this kind of thing all the time", Astrid commented.

"Not by choice", the Oracle said and smiled at her husband with a question in her eyes, he grinned back and she continued, "All we do is travel. That's what we are. Just travellers. Imagine it. No tax, no bills, no boss. Just the open sky. And every now and again we save a planet or something."

"I'm sort of unemployed now. I was thinking the blue box is kind of small, but I could squeeze in it, like a stowaway."

The Oracle grinned and then pretended to look serious, "It's not always safe."

"So you two need someone to take care of you. I've got no one back on Sto. No family, just me. So, what do you think?", her eyes flickered back to the Doctor and then back to the Oracle, "Can I come with you?"

They really left her hanging for a moment, having a pretend conversation with their eyes, before turning back to her.

"Yeah, we'd like that." "Yeah."

They all let out a laugh but their celebrations were interrupted by a bang. The Doctor stood up and talked into the control panel.

"Mister Frame, you still with us?"

"It's the engines, sir. Final phase. There's nothing more I can do. We've got only eight minutes left", Frame's voice came back.

"Don't worry, we'll get there", the Oracle jumped in.

"But the Bridge is sealed off", Frame gave back.

"Yeah, yeah, working on it. I'll get there, Mister Frame, somehow", the Doctor looked back down at Astrid, "All charged up?", to Astrid's nod he turned to Copper, "Mister Copper, look after her. Astrid, look after him. Rickston, er, look after yourself. And we'll see you again, I promise."

The Oracle hugged Astrid tightly, then took the Doctor's hand and they ran back across the bridge. In the galley they encountered four Host. The Oracle grabbed a large pan while the Doctor spoke up.