T W E N T Y - J E A L O U S

Romeo: Hi, babe, I'll meet you in 30 mins, still catching up on work.

Hailey smiled as she read the text. She didn't care that he may be late for their date. All she cared about was that he was here. He was alive.

She tucked her phone away in her bag as a content sigh left her glossy lips. Looking around the empty cafeteria, she saw Zach coming through the doors.

She smiled brightly at him, "Hey, Zach!"

He grinned at her as he turned towards the table she was occupying, "Hey, beautiful,"

She blushed slightly at the complement as he sat with her.

Staring at her, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. Something was definitely different about her. Her eyes were bright and bold and she wore the biggest smile. She hadn't looked that...chirpy in days.

"What's going on?" He questioned, leaning towards her.

"What are you talking about?" She quizzed innocently.

"You seem happier than usual," He pointed out.

"Oh," She laughed as she shyly looked away, fiddling with her fingers, "You remember the last time we spoke?"

"Yeah?"

"He's back,"

"Your boyfriend?"

She scoffed, "He's not my boyfriend."

He cocked a brow as a sly smirk crept upon the  corner of his lips, "Oh really?"

"Yes," She answered, looking away nervously.

He wasn't her boyfriend, right? He had never actually told her what he wanted with her. It just seemed like...it was just sex.

"If he weren't your boyfriend, you wouldn't have been so perturbed about his minor disappearance," He argued.

"It's not like that, we're just dating,"

"Mmmhmm," He hummed with a mischievous grin.

The blush crept upon her cheeks again at his boyish behavior. She rolled her eyes at him while biting her bottom lip.

"So, why did he go MIA?" He questioned in curiosity.

"Um, he...he was robbed,"

His eyes widened slightly in surprise, "Damn, is he hurt?"

"No, he's fine. They didn't touch him. The robber is in custody,"

"Serves him right,"

"I know, right?"

"So, have you spoken to Cassie?"

Hailey swallowed, as she subconsciously scratched her arm, "No, I haven't called her yet,"

"When are you going to?"

"Soon,"

Before Zach could lecture her about the importance of making up with her best friend, the doors of the elevator opened and they both turned their heads to the well-dressed person strutting in. Romeo.

His piercing, hazel eyes landed on them and he clenched his jaw. She smiled sweetly at him as her heart began to race. She lowered her head, fighting the growing smile.

Zach stared at her curiously, before glancing back at Romeo.

Deciding to let the coffee wait another minute or so, Romeo turned and began to walk towards them.

Upon arriving at the table, Romeo stared hard at Zach before forcing his hand out towards him.

Zach smiled politely as he shook his boss's hand, "Good evening, Mr. Snider, haven't seen you in a while,"

"How are you doing, Zach Hale?" Romeo gritted out, shaking his hand longer than normal and way too tight.

Zach fought hard not to wince as slight pain shot up his arm, "Good, sir,"

Dropping Zach's hand, Romeo turned his attention to the quiet, blushing young woman, "Miss Blake."

Zach held his pained wrist as he watched their exchange.

"Hello, Ro—Mr. Snider," She nervously replied.

He nodded stiffly at her before he walked away to make his coffee.

Forcing her gaze upon Zach, she found that he was already staring curiously at her.

"Weird guy, huh?" Zach said.

"Um, yeah,"

°°°

After receiving a short message from Romeo, she left the cafeteria and joined him in his car in the garage.

"Hey," She greeted him with a wide smile.

He didn't respond and instead started the engine and sped out of the garage. She stared out the window in deep thought. What was up with him?

"So, where are we going?" She asked, trying to cut the tension in the car.

"I don't know, I'm just driving," He responded a little snappy.

She stared at him with furrowed brows, "Is everything okay?"

"Yup," His answer was short and monotonous.

"Romeo, if something's bothering you, I want you to talk to me. Is this about what happe—"

Her voice was cut off when he suddenly took one sharp swerve onto the side of the road, making her eyes pop out of their sockets in freight.

"Romeo!"

He turned his face towards her with a nasty scowl, "Is Zach Hale your boyfriend?"

"What? No! He's my best friend! Is he what this is about?"

"Maybe. It sure didn't seem like he was just a friend. That dude is totally into you and it seems you're into him too," He spat.

"Romeo, listen to me, you're the only guy I'm with. Zach is literally just a friend. I've known him for a very long time. He's like a brother to me,"

Romeo narrowed his eyes at her, "Are you really serious about me or are you just flirting with me?"

Her heart dropped as she really looked at him. He had the audacity to ask that question? She was the one who was supposed to ask that question. He was fucking married. The damn ring was so shiny on his finger!

"Are you really asking me th—"

"Answer me, Hailey," Romeo interjected, clenching his jaw in annoyance.

She swallowed. She had never seen him like this. He was...jealous and mad. And she couldn't tell if he was mad at her or at Zach or both. Plus, he had absolutely no right to be jealous. 

"Yes, I'm really serious about you. I'm not just flirting with you. I want this," She whispered, actually surprising herself at how much she actually meant it.

Oh, no.

He released a sigh of relief, "Good, cause I want you too."

But, that still didn't answer the question that had been on her mind for weeks, "Who am I to you?"

He cocked a brow at her question, "Huh?"

"Am I just your side chick or one of them?"

He rolled his eyes, "What kind of question is—"

"Now is your turn to answer me,"

He stared at her, long. Her blue eyes were anxious and sincere. Her glittering lips were soft and slightly parted urging him to taste them. Her soft, dark, hair rolled down her perky breasts in bouncy waves. Damn, she was a beauty.

"You're my girlfriend,"

She smiled at him as she climbed onto his lap. Taking his face into her palms, she kissed his lips and whispered,

"Take me home,"