Chapter 17: Safe At Last

Start from the beginning

"He should be here by now. He'll be here soon. I hope." Bly muttered the last few words.

"Am I that annoying?" Aayla scoffed.

"Not at all. But you need medical attention."

"Touché." Aayla's word melted into a big, long yawn. "Ow."

"I'm sorry."

"Not your fault."

"I'm still sorry." Bly ran his hand down Aayla's lek, earning a small sigh of happiness from the injured Jedi.

.oOo.

The sun was rising the next day and Bly could barely keep his eyes open. He had been awake for three days and wanted to sleep. Thankfully nothing had come to try and fight them, because Bly would not have had the energy. The only thing keeping him awake was protecting Aayla.

"Even you have to admit you want to sleep." Aayla protested as she tried to convince Bly to let her sleep.

"Yeah. But we both have to stay awake."

"Why?"

"You probably have a concussion, and I need to make sure you stay awake."

"Right."

"I saw the tattoo you got. I like it." Bly said after debating whether or not to actually say it.

"Kriff. You weren't supposed to see that."

"Why not?"

"I dunno. It's just-" Aayla paused.

"Just what?"

"Yours."

"I thought I recognized it." Bly laughed. "It's a pretty good design."

"Exactly. I thought it was a pretty good design. I liked it, so I got it."

"Is that all you like?"

Aayla didn't respond.

"Are you sleeping again?"

"I want to be."

"Do you have an answer?" Bly paused and waited for a response that never came. "That's okay."

After a minute of silence, Aayla quietly spoke up. "It's not all I like."

"Out of all the designs, why that one? Why not the Jedi Order symbol?"

"Did I say earlier that you're the best? I think I said you're always there, no matter what. That might just be my head, I can't remember much from the last few days."

"I think you said that."

"Well there's your answer."

"That's a lot of dedication, though. That will always be there, even after the war when I'm... well, gone."

"Who says you'll be gone after the war? Why would you 'be gone'?"