Salty White... Part I

Mullai woke up with a certain childish excitement as if it was her own birthday that day. She had a small smile that was reluctant to leave her face and a secret agenda of her own to get done. 

She and Kathir shared harmless haughty looks as they continued with their morning routines. Kathir swore that he heard her mutter "Alla paaru, ivuha sollati kandupudika matomaa..hmpf",  while she passed him by the bathroom. 

He paused in complete confusion for a second before he remembered last night. She was talking about his birthday. He couldn't stop the chuckle as soon as he realized what had her in knots all morning.  

Mullai made her way to the kitchen and briefed Dhanam on her plan. "Periya mama kita ketachu avuha seri nu solitaha..", Mullai added, as soon as she saw Dhanams face look a little worried. 

Dhanam cleared up her face and tried to save it, "Illa illa, appudi illa sollitiya nu ketan avlothan.." she saved face. "Ana nalla idea than Mullai, romba naal atchu ithulam panni, " she said going back to the stove with a smile. 

Mullai was about tell her, she herself was feeling all jittery like a kid herself when the man appeared. "Goodu Morning, Annis!" Kanna hollered his way in, with a hop and skip with his every step. 

Dhanam hid a huge smile as she stopped the flame in the stove and turned around to face him with a 'I'm-not-going-to-melt-for-your-tactics-' kind of smile' 

" Vanga sir, inniki romba happy pola.. yenna viseycham?", Mullai pretend to not know about his happy mood. Kanna's face fell. 

"Anni unnagaluku theriyum nu enaku theriyum, chumma poi sollathinga", Kanna refuted, 

Mullai giggled as she gave him a little pat on the shoulder, "Happy Birthday da... Pathinaru mark atchu vangu intha vatti", Mullai giggled, Kanna gave her a pleaded look, "Anni please porantha nailaiku atchum exams ah nyabaga paduthathinga", 

"Hmm, ippudiye pessitu iru nee pass panna marri than.", Dhanam predicted, "Annii!",  he whined, 

"Hmmm polachipo, piranthanal vazthukal..", she patted his cheek and gave him a pinch and slap too. Kanna's eyes popped out a little at the little harmless slap. 

"Amma kitta arsirvatham vagiatcha?", she asked, Kanna nodded, "Kalailiye panitan..," he looked at the idly there and made a face, 

Mullai rolled her eyes, she loved idilies but apparently Kathir and Kanna prefered dosas. Mullai was so heartbroken the day she found out, she shuddered to rethink it. 

"Enna venum inniki sappuda", Dhanam asked her standard question.

Kanna grinned as if he hit gold and also a little sinistery. Dhanam understood his grin with a groan. That was a well known grin to her. Mullai turned to her curiously. She seemed to be missing something. 

"Enna? Biriyaniya? Aluthu pogathada unnaku.", Dhanam complained, hands on her hips. 

"Anni briyaniya asinga pathuthathinga, unnaglukum annanukum athoda arumai theriyala", Kanna came to the defense. 

Mullai turned to Dhanam, absolutely shocked, "Briyani pudikatha?!" she exclaimed. 
Dhanam shakes her head in a no, shy and guiltily "Ennakathu samaikum bothu atchum vasanaiku passikum, Kathir lam avlo va lam virumbi sapptu na pathathu illa, meen kolambu ku than usura viduvan.." she revealed. 

Mullai drew a hand to her shaking heart. Ugh, the horror. "Intha marri oru jadatha ennaku katti vetchitimgale.." she whispered in a trance of her ill fortune.