Midnight Blue...

That night Mullai didn't make any attempts to make conversation with him regarding how the trip went. She had millions of questions as to where he stayed, and what he had to eat and if it was enough or good. If the purpose of the trip was solved?... But she knew that he would shut her up if the conversation got too long and his sleep time was being cut short. 

So she waited for the next day to ask him, but of course workaholic Kathir, couldn't stay put inside the room, 

"Dai oru 12 mani pola kadai ku va da pothum, nethu thane thiruchy lenthu vantha.. konjam rest eduda..", Moorthy sipped away his tea that Mullai just handed to him, in the hall, 

She turned to Kathir, "Eduthukonga..."  she whispered before she could stop herself, Kathir gave the tray and then her a sideway glance, then nodded. "Ada  neenga vera nae Kadai ku eppo povom nu iruku, inga inrunthu na enna pana poran, " He replied to Moorthy, as he took his cup from the tray, Mullai eyed the bronze kaada on his wrist with annoyance... 

There are a lot of things he could do... he could sleep for extra hours, he could watch tv and relax; he could even cook if he wanted to or...He could sit and talk to her ... she was also human...She thought bitterly, "Kadai ku eppo povom nu irukamla... hmpf.."

"Unnalam thiruthave mudiyathu da..", Moorthy chuckled, and they finished the tea in silence and left to work, 

*

It was clear that in the next two days, the situation on the stock had become less strained. Moorthy had come home earlier than expected, happier and bouncier. He replaced the truck load of groceries he had taken. Dhanam and Mullai tucked their saree in and got to work feeling somewhat relieved. 

Mullai however, was a little distracted as she was giving an ear to what Moorthy was telling them about Kathir.But it wasn't only because it was him she told herself, it was also because she was very invested in the shop's growth, of course. 

"Nee pathu irukanume Dhanam, kathir ivlo chutikaya irupan nu nan nenaikala... Athu chinna vayasulenthe avan kadai'laye irunthan la, athan. Ella nunukanum therinji iruku paren. Jeeva panarathu thappu nu solra alavukatchum thozhi therinjiiruku Kathir'uku!", Moorthy was beaming with pride. Dhanam on the other hand, smiled fondly not surprised at all, 

"Ama mama! Kathir appo lenthey porupanavan thane.. avanuku theriyathatha.. avan gettikaran..", she replied. 

With absolutely no logical reasoning, Mullai too, found herself desperately trying to hide a smile. There was a small murmur at her heart at his words and she was in awe as to why that was. It wasn't her achievement. Why was she feeling so triumphant? 

 "En kannu munnadiye ivlo vazhanthutane..", Moorthy mumbled to noone in particular. Dhanam got up smiling fondly,  and made  her way to make quite a feast for dinner as though she was making up for the past week's lame menu. Kanna and Meena were more than happy about this. Kathir and Jeeva came in an hour after that. They all sat down, suddenly feeling ravenous as food was piled on to their plates. 

*

"Ahyioo anni mudiyala... konnutinga! Semma ya irundhathu sapadu...", Kanna was clutching his tummy as though he was a pregnant women trying to slump down against the pillar. Everyone had sat down absolutely stuffed to the brim.

"Dai correcta pullathachi maariye iruka", Meena giggled making him glare at her and turned to Mullai for support, but she too had to agree, 

"Nijama anni, unga samayal eh verathan..", Jeeva had to point out, Dhanam smiled so bright it blinded everyone. Meena, expectedly rolled her eyes at this. Mullai gave a side eye to Kathir, as she has often started to do lately, and saw that he was wincing and shifting in his place. He had his arm circling around to touch the other side of his shoulder, getting his teeth and giving pressure to it.