Chapter 10: Rules

After 20 minutes in the soft silence and the comfort of my sisters loving embrace, I stood up so I was sitting on my feet "mother is wrong, you didn't deserve what happen today....it wasn't your fault" a small tear rolled down my cheek. I couldn't look Jade in the eye, how could I be so pathetic! Jade stood up and placed her soft hands on my cheeks "I know....I know" her words soft but full of sorrow and sadness.

"you should have seen the look on that one guys face when Cohen smashing his teeth in!" Jade laughed trying to lighten the mood which worked, after seeing her bright smile I couldn't help but feel my sadness slip away "you dork" I laughed shaking my head. She put her hand one my head and ruffed my hair.

We decided to watch Spider-man into the spider-verse until we were interrupted by Cohen walking into the room "fath...Mason wants to talk to you in his office" Jade didn't even look to Cohen before saying "yeah I'm good, thanks" her attitude made it so hard to hide my laugh Cohen on the other hand did not find it very fun "I wasn't asking" he said sternly Jade looked over to where he stood "don't be difficult" Cohen's voice was serious but his eyes were full of amusement. Jade and Cohen stared each other down until Jade gave in letting out a sigh before getting off the bed I followed closely behind, we walked quickly so to keep up with Cohen's long legs.

We stopped at two big black doors, a lump formed in my throat. Cohen turn to us with his usual emotionless expression "He is waiting for you inside" I could feel my body stiffen Jade must have noticed because she then grabbed my hand and gave me a soft smile. "Behave" Cohen said directed at Jade she gave a fake smile in return. With that he knocked on the door and a small "come in."

He opened the door letting it swing open, Jade guided me into the room the door shut quickly behind us. Mason sat at his big desk that was placed in the middle of the room, his face was focused and stern. "Hello girls" a soft smile quickly pulls on his lips. Jade and I stayed quiet "please...have a set" Mason gestured to the two black chairs in front of his desk. Moving quickly we both took our sets. Mason signed before folding his hands and placing them gently in front of him on the desk "Jade, I'm very sorry for what happened today."

Jade's eyes were pierced on the floor "it won't happen again" Mason's tone made both me and Jade shiver the atmosphere in the room changed by the thick tension of that promise making it almost hard to breath.

 "Now, I sure Matthew and Cohen have told you about the verbally answers rule, yes?" Jade's eyes darted to Mason's angrily then looked away.

"Yes, sir" she mumbled I could hear the hesitation in her voice. "That's better. Now as you know there are some rules that need to be established now that you are live with us" Jade softly suck into her chair, eyes dark. Mason leaned back in his big chair observingly. 

"Rule number 1: You will be respectful to your brothers, mother, and to me. Rule number 2: You will listen when told. Rule number 3: there will be no swearing. Rule number 4: you will ask either myself or one of your brothers if you want to leave the house or have plans. Rule number 5: You will only wear what we approve. You are not to smoke, do drugs, or break the law in anyway. If you break one of these rules there will be consequences. I will also expecting good grades from the both of you." Jade shot up in her chair "I don't think our mother will like a stranger punishing us, we did not choice this life! We already have a father." My heart stopped and my hand fidgeted in my lap as Jade's eyes pieced  Mason's.

Silence consumed the room and I had the urge to scream due to the amount of nerves that run through my entire body.  Mason's deep husky laugh filled the room making Jade's eyes glare more deeply.

"Your mother agrees with me completely. She actually asked me to become your father figure and I gladly would take that role in your guys lives! And concerning your father.... I think that speaks for itself yes?" Mason's voice was calm and stern Jade's fists clenched in her lap. "We understand" I said as calm as I could, my hands were shaking uncontrollably at my sides as I put on a fake smile to try to lighten Jade's rage.