The Day of Hearts

Start from the beginning

We had all gone back to the kingdom and I looked around stunned at all of the decorations. "The Day of Hearts was always your favorite day of the year because it was the day you proclaimed your love for one another, by signing Herz Der Sonne's diary. Remember?" Rapunzel asked her parents and I squeezed Varian's hand as both of them simply shrugged their shoulders. "You guys! It's the Day of Hearts, not the Day Aparts." Rapunzel said as she pushed her parents forwards.

"You know, speaking of signing books, I know one couple that hasn't...committed their love to paper." Eugene said and Varian and I quickly turned to each other with dark blushes on our cheeks. "I-I'm too young for that!" We both said rather loudly at the same times. We both stared at each other for a few moments before both of our eyes widened. "N-n-not that I d-don't wan-want to!" I started to say and Varian nodded. "I-I want to! R-really, j-just-" "Not yet!" We both said together and we paused for a few seconds. "A-at least we're on the same page." He said softly and I nodded. "For the record, I didn't mean you two." Eugene said and I felt my cheeks become hotter as I looked down at the ground. "Ooh...that makes a lot more sense." Varian said next to me. "You both should go and enjoy the Day of Hearts! We'll let you know if anything changes, okay?"Eugene said and Varian started to lead me to who knows where.

"I have to say, milady, I was rather impressed when you showed up at my doorstep this morning with flowers. Your concept of time is getting a lot better! And you're remembering Corona holidays!" He said and I bit my lip softly. "Th-thanks. I hope the flowers weren't too much." I said softly and he kissed my cheek. "I absolutely loved them. Thank you." (CAN WE PLEASE NORMALIZE GIVING GUYS FLOWERS PLEASE AND THANK YOU!)

"I was also surprised when you opened the door with a new basket full of seeds, crystals, and different herbs." I said as I sat down on the edge of the fountain in the center of town. Varian rubbed the back of his neck as he looked down at the ground. "Actually you can't thank me fully for that. I might of had to recruit Sunny and Ruddiger." He said and I giggled. "I asked Persephone, Death, and Hades what I should get you. They all told me many different things that they would like, so I kinda had to improvise. Also you might have to owe Sunny a favor for that." I said and he sighed. "I'll get him some catnip and call it a day." He said and I laughed. "By the way, in between the flowers are vials of different chemicals I was able to get from Xavier." I said as I winked at him and he stared at me wide eyed. "Have I told you how much I love you today?" He said and I laughed. "A couple times, yes." "Well, let me say it again. I love you so much, milady." "I love you too, Sapphires."

We both leaned in towards each other about to share a kiss when my hand was grabbed and I was yanked to my to my feet. "You're coming with me, love birds!" I looked up and saw Rapunzel dragging not only me, but Varian as well. "It's official, we'll never get a Day of Hearts alone while Rapunzel is around." Varian said sarcastically and I rolled my eyes. "There's always later today or next year." I said with a smile and Varian stared at me with a blank expression. "Yeah...you're right. Next year is more likely than later today." I said softly.

Rapunzel ended up dragging us all the way to the castle. Pascal handed each of us a scroll and I started to read mine. "The Kingdom of Corona is in crisis. Pascal will give each of you a copy of my comprehensive plan to save it." Rapunzel said. "Operation Royal Romance? Uh, this is about setting your folks up on a date? You said the fate of the kingdom is at stake." Lance said. "Oh, it is, Lance. If the king and queen fall apart, other couples will follow their lead, and soon all of Corona society will crumble, and you know what they say? As goes Corona, so...goes...the world." Rapunzel said showing us different drawings she did and it ending with the world exploding and I rolled my eyes. "Do you want that to happen, Lance? Do you?!" Rapunzel asked as she kicked her easel to the side.

Catalina and Kiera held each other close as Lance, Eugene, Max, and Pascal hid using the table. Varian stood behind me scared just like the others and I rolled my eyes before smirking. I gasped dramatically and leaned against Varian draping my hand dramatically across my forehead. "Oh no! I-I can feel the love inside my heart draining from my very being! How could this have happened?! What sins did I have to commit to earn this eternal punishment?! Damn you for making me feel this pain." I made eye contact with Varian and sent him a wink and he smirked back at me as he dipped me so I was fully laying in his arms dramatically.

"Sapphires, are you there?" I asked and I raised one hand up poorly searching for him. "I'm right here, love." He said and held my hand against his cheek. "I-I can't hold on much longer! The only cure for my breaking heart is...is..." I said dramatically reaching one of my arms up. "What? What is it, milady? Please do tell me how to lift this blasted curse! I'll do anything! Anything I tell you!" Varian said dramatically making his voice deeper making it hard for me not to laugh. "W-we must...we must...go back...to...the festival! For it's the only way to bring love back into my aching soul." I said before fake dying in Varian's arms. "Ooh sorry, Rapunzel, you heard her. Only cure is for the two of us to go enjoy the rest of the festival. Well...see ya!" Varian said before quickly bringing me back up to my feet and we tried to make a break for it.

Just as my finger tips brushed the door handle a strand of long golden hair wrapped around my hand and yanked me back. I fell backwards from the force of the pull right into Varian making us both topple over each other and into the ground. I was on top of Varian and I sighed as I placed my arms on his chest and putting my head on top as I stared at Rapunzel. "Well played, princess. Well played." Varian said and Rapunzel had her hands on her hips not happy that we weren't taking the situation seriously. "Nice try you two." I shrugged my shoulders. "Eh, it was worth a shot." I said before getting up and helping Varian.

"Now, there's no reason we can't teach these lovebirds to fly again, and nothing is gonna stand in our way!" Rapunzel said and Varian raised his hand. "Yes, Varian?" Rapunzel asked. "How much time do we have before we put this plan into action? Because if we have time I would really like to spend this Day of Hearts actually with my girlfriend unlike last year." Varian said as he crossed his arms over his chest and Rapunzel rubbed the back of her neck. "Oh, yeah, sorry about last year. H-How about we get everything started and you two have about half an hour to yourselves?" Rapunzel tried to reason only to have Varian raise a brow at her. "Half an hour?" He was about to ask her for longer when I jumped in.

"Half an hour is more than enough time to spend together. Besides, we can have all night once we're done helping with Rapunzel's parents. We can even spend tomorrow together as well!" I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder and he looked down at me. He sighed before nodding. "Half an hour it is." He said still a little upset and I took his hand and dragged him out of the castle.

Once we were outside, I slowed to a walk and placed my head on Varian's shoulder. "Half an hour isn't a lot of time, you know." He said softly to me and I nodded. "I know, but at least it's better than last year. We didn't see each other until it was rather late at night. And even then we ran into Rapunzel again. We should be thankful that Punz is actually letting us go for a little bit." I said and he sighed before nodding. "You're right. We only have half an hour and I don't want to waste a minute of it." Varian said and this time it was him who dragged me off to who knows where.

When we were running Varian suddenly stopped and pulled me close to him by my waist. I felt my cheeks heat up as I was pressed up against him with my face buried into his chest. His free hand went up to my jaw and he gently tilted my head up for me to look into his crystal clear blue eyes. He stared at me up and down for a few moments stopping momentarily at my lips and I bit my lip softly. He smiled down at me before putting his forehead against mine making me smile.

"Have I told you how beautiful you are today?" He asked me softly and I giggled. "Not today I don't think, but you do keep reminding me." Varian placed a soft kiss to my forehead before placing his forehead back on mine. "You, milady, are absolutely breathtaking. I have no idea how I managed to capture your heart." He said softly before turning around and starting to walk away slowly. I stood there stunned for a few moments as I process what had just happened.

Varian turned back to face me me with a light smirk. "You coming, love?" He asked extending his hand. I quickly nodded before catching up with him and taking his hand in mine. "You know, Sapphires, I have no idea how I was able to get the all powerful, absolutely stunning, alchemist to fall for practically the exact thing he didn't want to believe in. A magical witch." I said and he laughed. "I still can't believe it either." He said and I lightly shoved his shoulder with a laugh. "Whatever love spell you have me under, I never want to be cured of it." He said and I laughed.

"You're so dramatic." I said and he turned to me pretending to be offended. "What? Me? Dramatic? This coming from the girl who literally just pretended to die just to get out of Rapunzel's crazy plan to get her parents to fall in love again." He said and I rolled my eyes. "You wanted out just as much as I did. Besides, now we have half an hour all to ourselves." I said and he shrugged his shoulders. "Fair point. You win this round." He said and I giggled before grabbing the collar of his shirt and pulling him in for a quick kiss. "Let's go enjoy the twenty minutes we have left." I said and he nodded before pulling me into another quick kiss.