Chapter 28 - "I promise, I am not going anywhere."

Começar do início

Zavier didn't want to dive deeper into something that felt new and old and familiar and strange so he changed the subject.

"Where is Prince Kristoff?" he asked.

"Talking with father and mother now."

"Did he have anything to say as you returned to the palace?"

Nolan ran a hand over his jaw, his brow pinched together. "Yes, his story was...interesting."

"How so?"

"He said he heard that Princess Lydia and you had survived. So naturally, he sailed straight for Loria, knowing that you would offer the Princess a place to stay."

That made sense. It also explained how they were attacked. The assassins in the palace would have known Zavier lived as well as Lydia. Loria was the logical destination. He inwardly sighed. Their nightly walks to the park had become a habit, one that clearly drew attention. Zavier could kick himself for his thoughtlessness. They should have gone at different times, brought more men, never left at all. Maybe then Lydia wouldn't have been harmed.

"Did he say anything else?" Zavier asked, rubbing his forehead, plagued by all things he should have done.

"No..."

Zavier met his brother's gaze, forgetting his own distress in the face of his brother's uncertainty.

"What is it?"

"Something is not right."

"You do not trust him?"

"I do not trust anyone until they have proven themselves to be trustworthy. With Kristoff, his manner is guarded and until he has proven to be trustworthy he will not see the Princess."

Zavier wholeheartedly agreed with this play. Lydia's safety meant everything.

The washroom door opened and Zavier whirled around as Lydia was led out, leaning heavily on her maid. Exhaustion and weakness seemed to weigh down every step. Zavier crossed the room and scooped her into his arms. With a sigh, she rested against him, closing her eyes. Her whole body relaxed in his hold.

"Is it safe for her to sleep?" Zavier asked the healer.

The man nodded. "It is the best thing for her. The bath took away her chill and I got her to drink some water for her dehydration. Besides a couple of bruises, fatigue is her main source of concern."

"Thank you."

Zavier walked into Lydia's bed-chamber, allowing a maid to scamper around him to turn down the covers. He laid Lydia down and tucked the blankets around her. Before he could leave, she reached out and caught the edge of his sleeve. He peered down at her and she stared up at him with a wordless plea. Zavier retrieved a chair from in front of a desk and set it beside Lydia's bed. She swallowed and curled her fingers around her pillow.

"Do you require anything else?" the maid asked.

"No. Please tell Nolan I will be remaining here."

The maid curtsied and left, shutting them into darkness. Slowly, Zavier's eyes adjusted. He could make out Lydia's form.

"Don't leave," she whispered.

"I promise, I am not going anywhere."

*****

Zavier woke with a jerk, startled into wakefulness but not sure why and not sure where he was. He blinked, trying to understand his surroundings. The chair beneath him and the pain in his neck from sleeping awkwardly brought the events of the night back to him. As he went to readjust and find sleep again, Lydia whimpered.