Chapter 28 - "I promise, I am not going anywhere."

Start from the beginning

"I will not leave you," he whispered back.

The carriage paused before the palace gates then rushed through them, the wheels kicking up pebbles in its wake. As it rounded to the front of the palace, a guard leapt from the back and opened the door. Zavier tore out and raced for the palace steps, barely waiting for the doors to be opened for him. Inside the foyer, guards and servants waited with worry.

"Someone start the Princess a warm bath!" Zavier commanded. "Send for the healer. Get the Princess's bed warmed. And someone tell my parents the Princess is safe."

People scattered, darting to put his orders into motion. Zavier ran to the stairs and bounded up them, ignoring how his side hurt with the rough treatment. He followed two maids to Lydia's washroom and paced as they filled the tub. Steam billowed in the room.

"We're ready, Your Highness," one of the maids said, helping take the cloak off Lydia.

Zavier brought Lydia to the tub and gently lowered her down. The moment her feet hit the water, she woke and gasped, clutching Zavier's neck. She shivered and buried her face in his shoulder as inch by inch he helped her into the water, letting her adjust to the heat. Even with how mild the water was, Lydia had been freezing and he knew the temperature must hurt.

By the time Lydia was fully submerged, Zavier shook from the strain of holding her over the water and not dropping her in. When he let go and drew his arms out, water from his soaking sleeves dripped onto the floor.

"We can handle it from here, Your Highness," the maid said.

Zavier looked at Lydia huddled in the water and nodded. As he stepped out into the sitting room, he found the palace healer waiting there.

"I do not know how long she was in the water," Zavier said. "I believe she is exhausted from the swim but you need to check and make sure there is nothing else wrong with her."

The healer bowed his head. "Of course, Your Highness."

He entered the washroom, closing the door behind him. Zavier felt like he could collapse to the settee but also couldn't bear to remain motionless, so he paced. She was in the palace. She was safe. She was safe.

But no matter how many times Zavier repeated the statement, all he could think about was waking up and seeing her gone. It had felt like someone had stabbed him. Every horrifying outcome had played through his head.

The door to the sitting room opened and Nolan walked through. He saw Zavier pacing and seemed to understand without having to hear a word.

"Here," he said, holding out a dry shirt.

Only then did Zavier realize most of his shirt was soaked through and he was leaving a trail of droplets all over the floor. He tugged off his shirt, laying it over a chair, and pulled on the new one. As he tucked it in, he looked to the door.

"How is she doing?" Nolan asked.

"I am not sure yet. The healer is in there."

Zavier ran his hand through his hair, his entire body tense with inaction.

"How are you doing?" Nolan asked.

Zavier waved the question away, his worry over Lydia overshadowed his concern for his own well-being.

Nolan nodded. "I know how hard it is to see someone you care about hurt."

Zavier almost refuted the claim but realized he couldn't. He cared for Lydia. She was the girl who had laughed during his welcoming ball making him feel a little more at ease. She was the girl who helped care for him after his injury. She was the girl who now walked with him to the park and talked to him about nothing in particular. He did care about her.