Chapter 51 ~ New York

Start from the beginning

I gaze out of the window at the magic that is New York City, the towering buildings that look picturesque against the grey sky, the people that bustle in the streets flowing in and out of the subway careful not to slip in their big fur-lined winter coats and the production and amplification of everything. It's so bright, so much bolder and it's just simply beautiful. I feel like I'm living a dream and... well... I suppose I am.

"Is it as magical as you dreamt?" Blaze nudges me with his elbow and lowers his lips to my ear in a whisper.

"Even more so." I beam back, my eyes never leaving the snowy scenery.

"I'll show you my favourite parts of New York later." He whispers again, his hot breath on my neck making me tingle.

"Really? You'd want to?" I turn to him, his eyes already watching me.

"Of course Blondie." He presses a kiss to my temple and tugs me into his side so my head is resting on his shoulder, we watch New York pass in a blur together as the taxi hurtles through the less built-up areas getting further away from the city centre.

Eventually, the taxi pulls up to a massive black iron gate that seals off a cul-de-sack of pristine mansions. Helen pokes her head out of the Taxi window, a dusting of snow settling on her brown locks as she talks to the guard in his little patrol box.

The gates swing open and the taxi proceeds down the road at a slower speed. We pass white houses with hundreds of windows and fricking forests in their backyards. Fountains and Rolls Royces line the entrances to their homes up steep gated drives- despite being a gated community anyway.

Big sash windows accompany balconies with patio chairs that hang off the first floors of the buildings and poor gardeners are still out cutting fence high hedges. I shrink back under Blazes arm at the explicitly enormous and expensive neighbourhood. Considering Blaze and I both come from washed up, slightly petrifying estates I'm not used to this kind of luxury. I know his grandparents are wealthy after successful careers but... I really misjudged that word.

The taxi rolls up to one of the final properties, beyond the black iron gate small fir trees line the brick driveway leading to a cupid style water fountain. In front of the wooden double doors sits a white Range Rover, two Rolls Royce, a green Mini Cooper, a Mercedes and a Porche. I gawk frozen in place as Blaze and Gemma climb out either side of the car helping Helen and the driver with their luggage.

Oh my god... what... what am I walking in too...

"Stop panicking, it's going to be fine." Blaze pokes his head back in the car holding out his hand.

"I'm... I'm not panicking!" I try to puff my chest out but the cold bites at my windpipes.

"It's written all over your face butterfly." He grins watching my face pale, I let out a big breath, "Trust me." He leans in closer, almost addressing the statement like a question. I nod watching his brows relax slightly, a smile holding his lips as I take his hand and scoot out of the car.

I manage to take my suitcase from the side of the road before he can and we follow Helen and Gemma up the drive as the gates swing open. In between the double drive is a tiny patch of grass that holds an even bigger fir tree, being covered in snow I can imagine how magical Christmas would be here.

Every step up the drive fills me with more dread, I've never had grandparents so I don't know how to act or what to expect, what if they hate me and think I'm not good enough for Blaze. On top of my audition tomorrow I really don't think I could handle it if they hate me.

"Stop. They're going to love you." Blaze squeezes my hand startling me, he smiles reassuringly. I bite on my lip as we approach the door, Gemma rings the classic old fashioned doorbell and I cower under Blazes arm. He snickers and squeezes my shoulder with encouragement.