chapter 1, 'In a bit wor kid'

April 1919, Newburn, Newcastle

"Hurry up will y, we need to be back at the jail by 9 or we won't be allowed out again for weeks." A frustrated Elisbith nagged at the older brother.

"It will be alreet. chill lib." James replied, rolling his eyes. "Do we smell of drink and can you walk straight?" James asked.

"I divint think so. Just hurry up, will ya." Libby shouted, getting increasingly more frustrated.

The twins rushed back to the home or jail as they called it. They entered the front door as quietly as they could. Until James fell on top of Elisabeth causing a huge commotion, drawing the attention of Sister Woodhouse.

Sister Woodhouses was an old woman, in the early sixties, who according to James and Elisabeth should have been dead in a boxs donkeys ago. Her haggard, sunken face was one that should only ever exist in a child's nightmares. Her fine crusty lips always formed a scowl that left her staind yellow, crooked teeth on display. Sister Woodhouse hated children and her only goal in life was to ruin as many of their lives as she could. Whenever she would shout her Birmingham accent would penetrate through.

"Where have you two been?" Her voice boomed, rattling a smashed window from the twins last stunt they pulled just a few weeks ago.

"out , obviously." Elishbith replied in a broad tone. Elishbith was the brains out of the two twins. She was constantly scheming and planning new ways to entertain the two. However, she had a tendency to use sarcastic comments and always had a sharp wit and tongue to match. It often laned the pair in a lot of trouble.

"Are you giving me cheek girl?" Sister Woodhouse said trying to be intimidating, which did nothing but make Libby roll her eyes and James chuckle.

"Well it depends on how you want to take it, doesn't it Sister Woodhouse?" Libby replied, smirking.

"Right, that's it. I've had just about enough of you Miss Smith." Sister Woodhouse snapped. "Go to your rooms and don't come out till tomorrow."

"Right you are then. See yas the morrow then. Inna bit wor kid." Libby shouted as she ascended up the stairs.

"See y soon when the old bitch is out of her mood." James said cockly at the ordinance the twins had gathered. James much like his sister loved using sacrasime, mainly to wind everyone up. However, unlike his sister James didn't have a sharp wit or tongue. He was rather slow and just preferred to have a fight or to punch something to sort out his issues. James was the fighter out of the two and always had his sisters back.

"Those two neve learn, do they?" Sister Woodhouse vented to Sister Hunter.

"No. No they don't." Sister Hunter sighs gently.

Sister Hunter was a young woman only about 25. She had served as a nurse in France for the past four years. She saved countless lives, most notably at the Somme, and received medals for her bravery. However when she came back they were chucked in the River tyne just like most of the soldiers did with theirs. She had perfect blonde curls that framed her face. Her green eyes were alluring and she could sing. She didn't sing anymore. Nevertheless, when she did it was beautiful. She sounded like a siren that enticed sailors to their deaths. Sister Hunter had always had a soft spot for the twins. She couldn't understand them most of the time. Nobody could.

"Come on, we best get this lot to bed." Sister Hunter smiled, placing her hand on the back of two of the younger children's backs.Sister Woodhouse just glared and nodded her head in agreement.

Later on when all the children were in bed, most of them were asleep. Except James, Elishbith, John, a fourteen year old boy that had been there the same amount of time James and Libby had been. He was shy and always got mixed up in the twins' trouble making and lastly was scarlet , a ginger haired thirteen year old who constantly rebelled against the rules. She had been at the home about two years and naturally found the three trouble makers of the home. The four were the bosses of the home and practically ran the whole thing. They were always in trouble and the four were known as the core four around the younger population of Newcastle. They were notorious trouble makers but never did anything to land them prison time or in major trouble with the police or pigs as they were more commonly referred to.The core four stayed up that night scheming a new way to cause trouble and a way to get out of it.

Meanwhile, down stairs an important conversation was going on. This conversion was going to decide the twins fate and it was spoken by the two people who hated them the most. Maddie's grandmother, Islean Winters, and Sister Woodhouse.

"No, Sister, I will not take them. They have caused me nothing but trouble since the day they were born.I want nothing to do with them. Ship them off to Australia for all I care, just get them out of my way." Islean growled.

"I understand your frustration, MIss Winters and I agree with you. The twins are nothing but trouble and I want them gone just as much as you. Still, they haven't got in enough trouble to move their home or ship them off to Australia. Nevertheless, I can think of one solution that would benefit us both if it works out, Miss Winters." Sister Woodhouse purred out with a malicious smile. " We can contact their father."

"Yes. Yes we can. Do you know who he is. Their mother never told me."

Islean spoke quietly.

"I do, his name is Thomas Shelby." Sister Woodhouse chuckled lightly.

"I can start writing the letter tomorrow and have it given to Mr Shelby, by the start of next week."

"Good, the sooner those two are out of our lives and out of Newcastle the better, don't you agree?" Islean wickedly smirked.

"I completely agree with you, Miss Winters." Sister Woodhouse was happy. For the first time in decades. She was happy. She was making her two biggest problems disappear and was excited for there deparcher from her care.