Chapter 13: Turning the Tide

Start from the beginning

"Being one of the top four really makes a difference!" 

"Shohoku's no match for them!!" 

As Ryonan attacks, the player with the ball threw the object a very high height and far direction, seeing Sendoh running for the ball, it is an alley oop! 

As if everything was said and done, Rukawa got in the picture and caught the ball before Sendoh, surprising everyone who was watching.

"Kyaaaa~~!! RUKAWA!!" The Rukawa fan trio began to cheer with their pompoms high, everyone on our side anticipated for the rookie to score.

Making his way to the hoop, he swiftly passed through his opponent without even stopping. "Awesome ball handling..." I was entranced by this boy's skills, his speed and over all play. It was as if this was his game, controlling it. 

"Good job, Rukawa!" Ayako cheered.

"Shoot it!" Kakuta shouted out to him.

But it's not over yet! Sendoh caught up with his speed and as Rukawa-kun jumped to shoot a score, Sendoh got in the way! Wait, Rukawa... he passed the ball to Akagi-san! And before anyone knew it, Akagi dunked the ball through the hoop, echoing a rattle sound across the court.

The crowd went  wild after witnessing the Gori-... I mean Akagi-senpai's dunk and with that, the tide was slowly changing. "That's the person whose strength is only second to me, Gori very good!! Very good!!" Sakuragi seemed to pat himself in the back while cheering to the captain and not even a second goes by, another ridiculous stunt was made as he went on his way to the scoreboard, flipping the numbers of Shohoku at a very ridiculous amount worth of points.

"That shot should be worth 10 points!" Sakuragi remarked before getting hit on the head by Akagi himself.  I felt completely embarrassed for Shohoku and for me, having a wild man lose like that just makes your skin creep.

I rushed to the students who were handling the score board and bowed to them intensely as I apologized to them repeatedly, "We're so sorry! We're so sorry! We're so sorry!"

"Ah! I-It's okay, don't worry.." I gritted my teeth and rushed to Sakuragi's direction who was now sitting on his chair, trying to ease the pain on his bumped head. I reached for his cheek and pulled it furiously, "Sa! Ku! Ra! Gi! You wild mammal!!" 

"Ouch! Ouch! Rei-chan!!!"

"Listen up!! From now on!! Don't let them score anymore!!" Akagi was pretty hyped up after that dunk and so was his teammates. Just hearing such a speech gets the crowd all fired up.

The game continued and Shohoku's score slowly caught up to Ryonan's, thanks to the captains rebounds and Rukawa's saves. I also saw Haruko who was at the opposite side of where we were at, watching the game. I assumed she was already here a long time ago but I didn't realize it since I was too focused watching the game.

When Rukawa scored just recently with his save, the Rukawa cheering club gave all their hearts to cheer and so did Haruko who's voice was also audible. And just right above us, Yohei and the others chanted "Shohoku" as well.