Vol 1.Chapter 12 - S-System Revealation

Start from the beginning

"98 total absences and tardies. 391 incidences of talking or using cell phones in class. I counted every infraction. In this school, your class performance is reflected in the amount points received. As a result your behavior, the 100,000 points you could've gotten went down the drain. That's all that happened. That this school measures the abilities of its students. This time around, you guys were valued to be worth 0. There's nothing more than that."

I cut in Chiyabashira-Sensei.

"If you know it why don't you tell us." Ike go confronting me soon the majority of the class agree with Ike.

"Yeah if you tell us we will probably will still have 100.000." Sinohara supporting Ike.

Eventhough I tell you you will not believe me and if you did trust me there's no way we will still receive 100.000 points.

"Don't you forgot that Azusagawa warn you and tell you just clown him."

"Yeah its because Azusagawa-Kun can't explain well if you help him we will believe you." Sinohara pointed at me trying to blame anything at me.

"Are you nine." Azusagawa respond back at Sinohara.

Before the tension between Sinohara and Azusagawa getting intense Hirata cut in.

"Chiyabashira-sensei, I don't remember
ever hearing that explanation before."

"What? Are you people incapable of understanding without any explanations?"

"Naturally. There was no mention of reducing the number of points transferred to us at the beginning of each month. If it was explained before, I'm sure that we would've tried not to be late and not to talk during class."

"An interesting argument, Hirata. I also don't remember explaining the rules about the points received at the beginning of each month. However, haven't you guys learned not to talk in class and get to class on time since elementary school?"

"That is..."

"I'm pretty sure you guys have learned. In the 9 years of compulsory education, they've always told you that such things are frowned upon. Talking in class and being late to class is bad. Also, did you say that you couldn't understand because I didn't explain it? That excuse doesn't fly. If you behaved as a student should, your points wouldn't have dropped to 0. It's your own self-responsibility."

Without any room for rebuttal, her argument was completely sound. Everyone knows what is good and bad behavior, after all.

"After becoming first year high schoolers, did you really think that you would get 100,000 points every month without any restrictions? In this school created by the Japanese government to train excellent people?"

That's impossible, just use your common sense. Why leave doubts as doubts?"

Although Hirata looked frustrated by her sound argument, he recovered and immediately looked at her in the eye.
"Well then, can you at least tell us the details about how points are increased or decreased? We will always try to do our best from now on."

"That's not possible. We are not allowed to divulge the details of how we assess merit to the students. It's the same as the real world. When all of you enter society, and find work in some kind of business, they probably won't tell you how you're assessed-that's up to the company, though. However... I'm not trying to be cold, nor do I hate you guys. This is such a pitiful sight that I'll tell everyone here one thing."

For the first time today, I saw a faint smile on Chiyabashira-sensei's face.
"For arguments sake, if we say that everyone stopped being late and stopped talking in class... your deduction would be zero, but that doesn't mean you'll get more points."