Chapter 3 - Accusations and Consequences

"We should never have let him go," Volstagg said as they sat around the fire inside one of the palace's lavish rooms.

"There was no stopping him."

"Sif's right. He would have gone anyways," Cora spoke.

"Well, at least he's only banished, not dead. Which is what we'd all be if that guard hadn't told Odin where we'd gone," Fandral added.

"How did the guard even know?"

"I told him," Loki spoke up, answering Volstagg.

"What?" Fandral asked, turning to face him.

"I told him to go to Odin after we'd left. He should be flogged for taking so long. We should have never reached Jotunheim."

"You told the guard?" Volstagg yelled.

"I saved our lives," Loki continued calmly. "And Thor's. I had no idea Father would banish him for what he did."

"Loki," Sif stodd, "you must go to the Allfather and convince him to change his mind."

"And if I do, then what? I love Thor more dearly than any of you, but you know what he is. He's arrogant. He's reckless. He's dangerous. You saw how he was today. Is that what Asgard needs from his King?" They all watched as he walked out of the room.

"He may speak good of Asgard, but he's always been jealous of Thor," Sif spoke as soon as Loki had left. "Cora, could you speak to the Allfather?"

"Even if I did, he wouldn't listen to me. He never has. No one can convince him to change his mind when he gets this way, not even Mother." It was quiet for a moment.

"We should be grateful to him," Volstagg spoke up. "He saved our lives."

"Laufey said there were traitors in the House of Odin," Hogun talked for the first time that night. "A master of magic could bring three Jotuns into Asgard."

"You don't think I-"

"No," Hogun shook his head at Cora. "You were born with your magic, not taught. That's why you're the goddess of life and vegetation. It's different. But..."

"Loki's always been one for mischief, but you're talking about something else entirely," Fandral said of Hogun's accusation.

***

Cora stopped as she heard Sif and the others enter the throne room, hiding behind one of the pillars.

"Allfather, we must speak with you urgently," she said before they stopped as they saw Loki sitting on the throne.

"My friends," he greeted them.

"Where's Odin?" Fandral asked as they walked closer.

"Father has fallen into the Odinsleep. Mother fears he may never awaken again."

"We would speak with her."

"She has refused to leave my father's bedside," he dismissed her request. "You can bring your urgent matter to me." He stood, the staff landing on the ground beside him. "Your king." They hesitated before kneeling in front of him.

"My king," Sif addressed him, "we would ask that you end Thor's banishment."

Loki chuckled, walking down the stairs leading to the throne. "My first command cannot be to undo the Allfather's last. We're on the brink of war with Jotunheim. Our people need a sense of continuity in order to feel safe in these difficult times. All of us must stand together for the good of Asgard." Sif stood, but Fandral and Hogun caught her arms before she could go forwards.

"Yes, of course," Fandral smiled.

"Good. Then you will wait for my word."

"If I may," Volstagg spoke up, "beg the indulgence of Your Majesty to perhaps reconsider-"

"We're done," Loki silenced him and they stood before walking out of the room. Cora ducked back behind the column before exiting the room as quietly as possible, finding her mother standing by her father's bed.

"How is he?" she asked quietly.

"I don't know," she smiled up at her daughter, trying to put on a brave face. Before anything else could be said, Loki came and sat by his sister's side.

"I never get used to seeing him like this," he said softly after a few minutes.

"He's put it off for so long now that I fear..."

"How long will it last?"

"I don't know. This time it's different. We were unprepared."

"So why did he lie?"

"He kept the truth from you so that you would never feel different."

"Truth?" Cora asked, her head coming up to glance between her mother and brother. "What truth?"

"That I'm a Frost Giant," he told her without moving his eyes from his mother.

"You are our son, Loki," Frigga told him, "and we, your family. We mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us. And your brother."

"What hope is there for Thor?"

"There's always a purpose for everything your father does." He nodded, standing and leaving the room, Cora quickly following.

"You're a Frost Giant?" she asked as soon as the door closed behind them.

"Keep your voice down," he hushed her, moving closer.

"I think I'm doing pretty well, all things considered."

"Yes, it's true."

"Wha... How?"

"Father found me when he was in Jotunheim and he took me in. He lied to me."

"I... Loki..."

"I must go," he turned and started walking away.

"Where are you going?"

"To rule." She took a breath, watching him until he turned down another hallway. She glanced at the closed door behind her before walking through the palace as quickly as possible without arousing suspicion.

***

"Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war," Fandral paced, "yet you've managed to consume four wild boar, six pheasant, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you," he looked at Volstagg who continued eating. "Don't you care?" he knocked the plate out of his hand, causing Volstagg to stand quickly.

"Do not mistake my appetite for apathy!"

"Stop it! Both of you!" Sif demanded as she and Hogun pulled them away. "We all know what we have to do."

"We need to stop Loki," Cora spoke up, bringing her attention to her as she entered the room.

"Princess," Fandral greeted in surprise.

"I don't know what's going on, but I know my brother. Something's up... and I don't trust him."

"We must go," Hogun nodded. "We must find Thor."

"It's treason," Fandral told him.

"To hell with treason, it's suicide."

"Thor would do the same for us," said Sif.

"It's my decision," Cora told them. "I'm your princess. You must listen to what I say." She stopped, looking at them. "I won't make you do this, but I am doing it. I may not be able to protect you from the consequences, but all those who join me shall bear them together."

"Now shush," Volstagg told her, wiping his beard. "Hiemdall might be watching." They all turned as the door opened behind Cora again, a guard appearing.

"Heimdall demands your presence."

"We're doomed," Volstagg let out.