Chapter 3

The ride picked up pace as we passed through the subway tunnels and emerged to the light outside of downtown.

I glanced at the phone. Bars. I had service finally. Typing in one of the two phone numbers I had memorized, I texted my father:

"His car is in the Foggy Bottom Metro Station Parking Garage – level 3."

Then, I texted my mother:

"It's Lauren. I need Evan's number. Please."

Almost immediately, the phone lit up with a reply from dad. Scanning the first line and finding him as furious as I'd expected him to be, I ignored it. He could contact me when he'd calmed down.

A minute later, mom replied: "Are you sure?"

I responded: "I need to talk to him. I want him to hear it from me."

Her next text had no words, just ten digits.

Swallowing hard, I dialed.

"Hello?"

Evan.

His voice sounded warm and sleepy, like I'd woken him. I could almost see his rumpled hair and easy smile.

"It's me."

"Lauren?"

My voice cracked, "I'm so sorry..."

"I heard."

"I didn't mean for it to happen- "

"Laur, I'm not mad. I'm not. There's nothing you could have done."

I hiccupped as the tears started spilling over my bottom lids. "It should have been you."

"Don't cry, Laur. Please? Please don't cry."

Fighting to get myself under control, I whispered, "I'm trying."

"Hey," he sounded like he was right next to me. "For what it's worth, I really wanted it to be you, too."

My eyes squeezed shut as misery shot through me.

"What's he like?"

I scoffed, "You really want to hear me talk about my mate?" I spat the word.

"No, not really," he admitted, "but I should know what I'm up against if he decides to kick my ass for liking you."

Liking. He liked me. Yesterday, it had been love.

My voice shook as I answered him. "He's an alpha."

"I heard that, too."

"Yeah? Did you hear that he's old enough to be my father?"

Evan paused. "I hadn't."

"Oh, god," I moaned. "His name's Dwayne. I can't mate with a man named Dwayne!"

"Babe, I'm not sure you've got much of a choice."

Anger flooded through me. "Says who?"

Evan paused. "Everyone? What do you mean, Laur?"

"There's got to be a way out of this." I muttered.

"I'm pretty sure there isn't, and I'm pretty sure you know that."

I shook my head, "I haven't accepted the bond. It's not official yet. There could still be a way out."

A ping sounded in my ear, and I pulled the phone away. Call waiting.

I didn't recognize the number, and yet at the same time I had no doubt who it was.

Goddamn it.

"Lauren?"

"He's calling."

"...are you going to answer it?"

"No! What if he tracks me?"

No fucking way was I answering his call.

"I'm not sure he has that capability."

My voice took on a hysteric tone, "Well I'm not about to find out!"

"Okay," Evan soothed, "It's okay. Look, if you want to take a couple days to sort things out, nobody's going to blame you."

I laughed bitterly, "My dad will."

"Your dad can deal." Then, through the phone, I felt his mood shift. "Hey, are you safe right now?"

I thought about the race through traffic that was doubtless happening this very second, trying to beat my train to its next stop.

"Sort of?"

"Okay. Uncle Rob's walking up to the house, and he doesn't look happy."

"Oh, god."

"Text me when you get where you're going. And, Lauren?"

"Yeah."

"Don't tell me where that is."

"Okay." If he didn't know, he couldn't be compelled to say. "I love you."

He didn't say it back. "Bye, Laur."

The call ended, and I felt the empty chasm where my heart used to be.