Chapter 19 - Plans in Motion

This was an insane, horrendously bad idea even by Hiccup's standards.

   And when Astrid agreed, he began to worry just what kind of bad influence he had turned into for her.

   "Well Bud," Hiccup said as he caressed Toothless's head. "I guess this is a new adventure."

   Toothless whined, sniffing him and looking at him with big, questioning eyes and droopy ears. Hiccup could almost hear his question.

   "Yeah, I'm sorry, (Y/n) isn't here, she..." Hiccup sighed, unable to admit to Toothless that just because of his cowardice (Y/n) was now caged on a ship, sailing back to the nest where the massive dragon that hates her is waiting patiently. "We're gonna get back her for you, you hear me? But I need your help with that."

   Toothless crooned, pupils wide and rectangular with fearful wonder. He nudged Hiccup's stomach and shook his head with a snort, then turned to look at the sky where, only a few nights prior, he, Hiccup and (Y/n) flew freely together for the first time.

   "Yeah, you'll be able to fly with her again in no time," Hiccup said once Toothless turned to look at him again, "I promise."

   The rustling of bushes near the cove drew Toothless's attention away, and transformed his worry into aggression. Crouching low with a wing raised protectively in front of Hiccup, he growled at the shaking twigs and leaves.

   "Hiccup!" came Astrid's voice.

   Toothless relaxed at once, the familiar voice of the viking (Y/n) had scared to death and back now a new source of reassurance.

   "It's okay bud, it's just Astrid." Hiccup patted Toothless's neck, to which Toothless snorted and rolled his eyes. "Okay, okay, I didn't know you knew it was her!"

   Toothless only rolled his eyes and swung his wings weakly at Hiccup's back and pushed him forwards.

   "Hey, Astrid," Hiccup greeted her.

   "I've got everyone," Astrid said, heaving for air. "They're coming to the academy, just like you wanted. So," she straightened her back and crossed her arms, "will you tell me the rest of your plan now?"

   Hiccup looked at Toothless, as if looking at a friend to explain something he didn't want to. When he received no answer, he turned back to face Astrid, who was looking at him with raised eyebrows.

   Hiccup took a deep breath, then sighed it out with most of his worry and anxiousness then said:

   "We're gonna get us some more teammates."

------

       I could already hear her voice; even before we entered the protective cover of the smoke, I heard her whispers in my mind.

   "Lead them to me," she would say. "Let them come and meet me, maybe then I will not kill you for your mistakes, you traitorous eel."

   I never tried thinking back – or, saying something in my mind back to her. Never really wanted to either; she held too much power over me for me to enter such a dangerous way of defying her.

   "I'd rather sleep with eels than ever help you," I thought back, weirded out by the fact that my snarl was the same volume as her rumbling whisper.

   She never verbally answered that last act of defiance from me.

   All she did was force me to lead them back to her island, back to my former home, where her highness will no doubt be waiting, mouth open wide and filled with fire. Instead, we arrived at an empty shore; at such a calm and silent shore that I hated it more than if she was standing right on front of me; huge and snarling, spitting with rage and malice.

   "Well done, my child," was the last croon I heard from her before I could freely think.

   Shaking my head, I looked at the towering wall of black stone and trembled. Had I been free, I wouldn't have been scared at all; but captured and surrounded by Scalelesses who were intending to kill me before she even showed her snout was nothing short of a disadvantage ticket to becoming her appetizer.

   Maybe if Hiccup hadn't stopped me from killing the Alpha viking, I wouldn't've been worried about him. But, try as I might to deny it, Hiccup had become my friend, and if hurting the Alpha viking hurt him, it wasn't one of my top priorities to get the Scaleless leader eaten.

   "Get off that island, you overgrown, bald yak!" I tried to warn him when he jumped down, but with my snout forced shut, the only thing that came out was a pathetic whine.

   He whined something then pointed at me with a double flat claw (battle axe) and squeaked some more, but none of it was anything that I could understand.

   I only puzzled together what he could've said when my bindings were tightened to the point of being painful.

   "All of you are brainless fools if you think this was a good idea!" I thrashed in the tight hold of the brown vines, and the thick thing around my neck. "Your Alpha is leading you to your death, abandon him! Help me and I'll help you survive!"

   It really was no good to be trying to persuade them to join me and leave their previous leader. I dare say I looked borderline stupid from their view; a pathetic Scaled chained and forced to bow before a Scaleless leader who held his head high and walked free.

   "Alright," I thought bitterly and growled at one of them when they walked to close to me, "if you won't help me, I'll get help from somewhere else."

   I searched the island, looking for any sign of life, but all I saw was the tail of a Fire Starter disappear into one of the tunnels that led into the heart of our home.

   "Wait! Help me!" I roared after the dragon as its tail disappeared.

   "Oh?" I heard her highness's voice again. "Let me help you then."

   I froze in my spot as I heard a rumble, felt the boat tremble only slightly beneath my paws.

   "No... No. No no no no!" I began pushing backwards, as far as I could go (which was barely anything) so I could be as far from her as possible. "I don't want your help!"

   Yet again, she didn't answer.

   Yet again, the silence boomed and loomed over me.

   Yet again, I feared seeing her.