Chapter 3

JADE

Perrie's team is already there when Jade and her team step into the main camp. They're seated on the logs around the fire pit and the newcomers are urged to sit down quickly as well. Perrie is settled between two of her teammates. She avoids Jade's eyes when she approaches and stares into the barren fire pit instead. Jade sits down next to Tony, who takes her hand in his, sensing that she needs his comfort. She squeezes it in silent thanks.

After yesterday, Jade had hoped that everything would go back to normal quite easily. But maybe not so much. Now Perrie won't even look at her. She goes over their conversation from yesterday, trying to find a sign that she missed, but comes up empty. Perrie seemed excited to see her again and her expression when she said her parting words was joyful, maybe even a little bashful. Even though she was thoughtful before that. Nothing in the way they parted ways would predict her current behaviour.

Jade is made aware that the cameras are already rolling by Mary, who whispers in her ear from her other side, "I think we're already live."

Jade looks up at this and notices all the people around them, the same people who are there when they're live, save for Ant and Dec. Yes, chances are that they're live broadcasting the merging of the two camps. Jade schools her expression and smiles at Mary as a thank you, even though she's afraid the damage is already done. Their fans are very perceptive and will probably dissect every interaction she has with Perrie. But you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that something is off when one of two supposed best friends and sisters pretends the other doesn't exist.

"Welcome, all," Dec says suddenly. "Welcome to your new home for the next couple of weeks."

"And get a good look at your campmates for the coming weeks," Ant adds. "Although you've got more than enough time for that."

For the first time, Jade takes a good look at the other people from Team Blue. She didn't really pay much attention to them yesterday. She recognises two of the guys from Perrie's team, one of them interviewed Little Mix a couple of times on the radio. She thinks this is Adam, the one who took on Emma in the first bushtucker trial, but she's not sure. The other is an actor from a soap opera her mum would watch, but she only knows his character's name, which was Stuart. She doesn't think he'll appreciate her calling him that. The other guy on her team is built quite athletic so he might be an athlete, or maybe an actor too, but to be fair, he could be anything. The two other women on the other team are both a little older, closer to Mary's age than Jade's, and Jade doesn't recognise them.

"Now it's time for us to reveal who's been chosen to do the next bushtucker trial," Ant continues. Jade was right about Adam's name and learns that 'Stuart' is actually named Darren. Neither of them is chosen to do the trial. Neither are Tony and Ben. Perrie's name is called next and Jade tries to catch her eye, but Perrie only looks up at Ant who's telling her that she's not it before focusing her gaze at the ground again. One of the women from Perrie's team, Nicole, hears that she might have to do the trial and Emma and Mary are safe. Geoff gets told that it might be him and the other man from Perrie's team, Shaun, is safe. When Dec says Jade's name, Jade can see Perrie tense, but if she hadn't known her tells from being so close with her for ten years, she wouldn't have noticed. Jade's not it though and everyone moves on. The last woman on Perrie's team, Rose, is also safe.

"So, Geoff and Nicole, which one of you will be doing the trial?" Ant says, building up suspense. After a couple of tense seconds, he announces, "It's both of you!"

That was to be expected, one person from each team, working together to show that they're on the same team now.

Unlike the previous times that there was a bushtucker trial, the two contestants aren't whisked away immediately. Instead, they get about half an hour to get settled into the new camp and to get to know each other a little bit.