38: Shut The Front Door

{Song: It's All Happening by Saint Motel}

~Edited~

After going over exactly what I had seen in my vision to Tony, we sat in silence for the rest of the trip with only the rock playlist Tony had playing through the car stereo. We ended up not leaving until the next day due to the fact that Tony wanted to double check his program again in the morning and then Morgan had thrown a fit about us not letting her go with us.

But luckily, with Tony's leadfoot, we made good time and were more than halfway done with our fourteen hour drive. We had just gone through D.C., where we had stopped to grab a quick lunch before heading back onto the road.

Unfortunately, the quick trip also meant that it wasn't until we had gotten to the front gates of the compound that I realized how unprepared I might be for the events that are going to soon transpire.

Tony's hands loosened on the steering wheel as I sucked in a breath, the compound was coming closer and we both saw the figure step outside at the same time. Steve was looking fairly upset, I could feel his annoyance radiating off of him from the car.

I watch Steve look up in surprise as we sped around the curved path towards the front door, "You're going to overshoot." I murmur as Tony lets go of the gas but doesn't press on the brake yet.

"No I won't." He rolls his eyes at me before his car squeals to a stop, a few feet past where Steve was standing. I look over at him with a smirk and he just groans, "Don't gloat." before slowly reversing until he was right next to Steve. Looking up at him as he rolls down his window.

"Why the long face?" Tony asks as I roll my eyes, "Let me guess, he turned into a baby?" He asks rhetorically. I snort at him mentioning that part of my vision.

"Among other things, yeah. What are you two doing here?" Steve asks after confirming what Stark said.

"It's the EPR Paradox." Stark responds, getting out of the car as I follow behind, "Instead of pushing Lang through time, you might've wound up pushing time through Lang. It's tricky, dangerous. Somebody should've cautioned you against it." Tony looks at me as I come around the car and stand next to him.

"You did." Steve says.

"Oh, did I?" Tony whips his head back to Steve and gives a mock surprised look.

"Tony." I breathe out, rolling my eyes because I know he's going to ignore me.

"Well, thank god I'm here," He says.

"We're here." I correct him as he continues as if I never spoke, "Regardless, I fixed it." He holds up the small device he had made yesterday, showing Steve in a gloating manner. "A fully functioning time-space GPS," I watch Steve's lips quirk up in a smile.

"I just want peace." Tony finishes as he gives Steve a peace sign before opening the back door to the car and pulling out my duffel and handing it to me, "Turns out resentment is corrosive, and I hate it." He tells Steve, his cocky attitude falling off.

"Me too." Steve agrees.

"We got a shot getting the rest of these stones, but I gotta tell you my priorities. Bring back what we lost? I hope, yes," He looks at me as he says that before looking back at Steve, "Keep what I found, I have to, at all costs." He shrugs before moving past Steve.

"Don't forget staying alive in the process." I mention and Tony points at me, adding, "And maybe not die trying, would be nice." He looks back at Steve who nods as he offers Tony his hand, "Sounds like a deal."

I feel as if a weight was lifted off everyones chests as the two shake hands before Tony moves towards the trunk, opening it and pulling out Cap's shield. I stifle a laugh as he spills a few of Morgan's toys back into the trunk before offering the shield to Steve, who hesitates in taking it back.