Tawelv. Sunflowers and Regret

Start from the beginning

He smirks. "In a couple birthdays."

"Oh, I should tell mom, just in case she doesn't know." he decides, his heels knocking on the cabinets again. It seems louder than before.

Bang, bang, bang, bang!

Adrian nods as he takes a little breath.

"Do you think I'll get girl problems, like you, too?"

His heart hitches at the reminder. "Of course, you will. I bet you'll be quite the heart breaker," he states, in a breathy voice.

"Ugh," Benny pulls his sucker back out. His lips now match the color of the candy; blue. "I don't wanna be a heart breaker."

Bang, bang, bang, bang.

"Why not?" Adrian's hands begin to shake.

"Momma calls daddy a heart breaker cuz he makes her cry all the time."

The banging stops and Adrian's heart stills in his chest. He turns to Benny, his hands coming to rest on the little boy's knees.

"Why does he make her cry?" His voice carries strong as it comes out. Stronger than he feels.

Benny rolls his lolly-pop slowly, eyes turning down to the floor. Very softly, almost inaudible, "He hits her."

The whole diner swirls into white noise. Images of his father drinking at the kitchen table pour into his mind. The alcohol unleashed all emotions, heightening whatever was on his mind that day. It was always sadness, never anger. But what if... he did become angry? What... would his father have done?

"Does your daddy drink?" The question tumbles out of Adrian's mouth without his notice. His gaze settles on the wall behind the coffee pots, blurring into two sets of everything. Two sets of the large stainless steel coffee pots, two sets of the poster of the woman drinking coffee in the diner when if first opened, and two sets of the mirror he stares back at.

Benny gives a little nod, losing his enthusiasm for the candy. The boy watches Adrian's hands tighten on his knees and looks up to see his favorite waiter's face utterly blank. Pale.

"It's okay, Adrian, my daddy still loves me. He tells me every night." Benny shakes Adrian's arm, trying to get his attention. "He only does it when he's in a bad mood."

This isn't good. This isn't good at all. But what can he do? There's no way to help Mrs. Fleming, or Benny without compromising their living situation. They rely on him to pay the bills.

Eyes coming back into focus, he looks down at Benny, a little hand clutching his arm tightly. Worry lines crease around the big crunch-bar eyes.

Adrian bites his tongue. He should be the one with the worried face, not the seven year-old that has to actually bear it. His chest aches to the point of losing its own air. How could someone so innocent, deserve a father like that?

Lost to deep thought, the rest of the day carries on in a heavy haze and Adrian's mind only surfaces to watch Mrs. Fleming hold Benny's hand as she leads him out the door.

They could be walking home to God knows what, tonight. He restrains himself from following them outside. It's not his place. He can't do that.

Kimmy sends him home, and the night only offers fitful hours of tossing and turning.

: the next day :

A coffee mug makes those humming noises as Adrian's finger slides around the rim. Just a few drops of earl grey left on the bottom, it swishes and sloshes a few stow-away leaves in its wakes. He studies the little black bits, wondering what they would taste like.